Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amp dangers from a universal power supply adapter

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1
    I have a treadmill that has a display monitor that uses either 4 D cell batteries or an optional adaptor. The back of the monitor states it uses a 6v 1.66-2.0a/max input. I purchases a universal power adaptor that has a fixed amp rating of 3 (6v obviously is an option). The question is: what damage can occur if I use this adaptor that has a amp output that EXCEEDS the display monitor's 1.6-2amp requirement? Thanks! Nodak65

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2
    The 2A for the display is just what the load will take and the 3A rating of the power supply is just its maximum capabilities. No damage should occur.

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3
    Remember, your AC/DC adapter is a constant voltage source, not a constant current source. V=IR and all that. Almost all consumer electronic power supplies are constant voltage sources. You will rarely have a constant current source provided in a consumer product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook