Analytical Problem with Coulomb's Law

In summary, in a parallel universe where aqueous solutions can have an excess charge, two beakers with 0.300 L of 6.40 × 10-6 M excess charge are separated by 1.20 meters. Using the formula for force between the beakers, which takes into account the permittivity constant and the charges of each beaker, the calculated force is expected to be extremely large. However, upon rechecking calculations and including units, the final result is found to be -2.14 x 108, showing the significant impact of excess charge.
antonisz

Homework Statement

Consider a parallel universe where the laws of nature as we know them are different, and aqueous solutions can have an excess charge. Two beakers are separated 1.20 meters and each contains 0.300 L of an aqueous solution of 6.40 × 10-6 M excess charge. One beaker has a net positive charge, and one beaker has a net negative charge. Calculate the force between the beakers using the formula below,

JKuLV1m.png

where F is force, ε0 is the permittivity constant and is equal to 8.85 × 10-12 C2/(N·m2)·, q1 is the charge contained in the first beaker, q2 is the charge contained in the second beaker, and r is the distance between the beakers. Note that 1 mole of charge is 96,485 C, and because one of the beakers contains a net negative charge, one q will be negative, and F will be negative. A negative F corresponds to an attractive force.

Homework Equations

JKuLV1m.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the charge on the solutions to be to be .1853 and -.1853. I did this by multiplying the molarity by the volume .300L and then 96468 C.

After getting those numbers, I plugged into the formula and got an insanely large number for the force, -2.31 x 109. I'm not sure if I'm not understanding the problem or if it is an arithmetic error.Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
antonisz said:
I found the charge on the solutions to be to be .1853 and -.1853. I did this by multiplying the molarity by the volume .300L and then 96468 C.

After getting those numbers, I plugged into the formula and got an insanely large number for the force, -2.31 x 109. I'm not sure if I'm not understanding the problem or if it is an arithmetic error.

You can expect the force to be crazy large, but not quite as large as that; your result looks to be about an order of magnitude too large to me, so recheck your calculation. Your numerical value for the charges looks okay. Be sure to always include units on any result values that you present! Otherwise the result will be determined to be meaningless by a marker...

Well, if that's the formula you are supposed to use, then yes, an insanely large number is what you will get. I do not know why you got -2.31 x 109. It's a little too large.

Also, please always remember units. They can remind you if you have forgotten anything, or done anything wrong.

Avatrin said:
Well, if that's the formula you are supposed to use, then yes, an insanely large number is what you will get. I do not know why you got -2.31 x 109. It's a little too large.

Also, please always remember units. They can remind you if you have forgotten anything, or done anything wrong.

Sorry, I did have the units on my scratch work.

I tried it on my TI-83+ and I got 2.14 x 108, so it must have been me using the google calculator!

Thank you everyone!

Funny, I get -2.14 x 108. Still big. Goes to show that excess charge is not to be made fun of.

This 96468 C/mol is Avogadro's number 6.02214E+23 / mol times electron charge 1.60217E-19 C and it's a huge number. One coulomb is an awful lot of charge.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is an analytical problem with Coulomb's Law?

An analytical problem with Coulomb's Law refers to a situation where the mathematical equations used to calculate electrostatic forces between charged particles become too complex to solve using traditional methods. This may occur when dealing with multiple charges or complex geometries.

3. How can analytical problems with Coulomb's Law be solved?

There are several methods for solving analytical problems with Coulomb's Law. One approach is to use numerical methods, such as computer simulations, to approximate the solution. Another approach is to use mathematical techniques, such as vector calculus, to simplify the equations and make them solvable.

4. Why is it important to address analytical problems with Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental principle in physics and is used to understand the behavior of electrically charged particles. By addressing analytical problems with this law, we can gain a better understanding of the underlying principles and make accurate predictions about the behavior of these particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law has many practical applications, including in the fields of electronics, telecommunications, and electrostatics. It is used to design and analyze circuits, calculate the forces between charged particles in capacitors and conductors, and understand the behavior of lightning and other atmospheric phenomena.