Analyzing the Velocity and Direction of Fuel Tank Drop in Two-Plane Scenario

In summary, the fuel tank from Plane A hits the ground first with a velocity of 135 m/s in the direction of the arrow.
pstfleur
1. Two planes are each about to drop an empty fuel tank. At the moment of release each plane has the same speed of 135 m/s, and each tank is at the same height of 2.00 km above the ground. Although the speeds are the same, the velocities are different at the instant of release, because one plane is flying at an angle of 15 degrees above the horizontal and the other is flying a an angle of 15 degrees below the horizontal. Find the magnitude and direction of the velocity with which the fuel tank hits the ground if it is from (a)Plan A and (b) Plane B. in each part, give the directional angles with respect to the horizontal.

Vf=Vo-gt, vf^2=Vo^2-2g(delta y), yf=Yo+vot-1/2gt^2

3. This problem looks so complex,
I can't really find the x and y components of the angle because i am not given the initial velocity of either plane(or so i think). Can Someone please guide me in the right direction with this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
It says that the "at the moment of release each plane has the same speed of 135 m/s", as well as their angles above/below the horizontal; therefore, you have your initial velocity. Split this into your x and y components. I'll give you a small hint too: Remember the symmetry of a parabola because it'll cut this problem in half.

chislam said:
It says that the "at the moment of release each plane has the same speed of 135 m/s", as well as their angles above/below the horizontal; therefore, you have your initial velocity. Split this into your x and y components. I'll give you a small hint too: Remember the symmetry of a parabola because it'll cut this problem in half.

K, I don't know about the symmetry of a parabola.. but to refer to your first half, if i find the x and y component of the speed and angle, that means that it is the initial velocity of both planes, but later in the problem it says "although the speeds are the same, the velocities are different at the instant of release" ...?

hello? lol

The speeds are the same. But they are going in different directions, hence different velocity.

Remember, velocity is determined by speed and direction.

Well about the symmetry, just work out the whole problem and afterwards you will probably notice what I meant.

Related to Analyzing the Velocity and Direction of Fuel Tank Drop in Two-Plane Scenario

What is kinematics in two dimensions?

Kinematics in two dimensions is the study of motion in a two-dimensional space, typically represented by the x and y axes. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object without considering the forces that may be acting on it.

What are the basic equations used in kinematics in two dimensions?

The basic equations used in kinematics in two dimensions are the equations of motion, which include the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration. These equations are derived from the principles of calculus and can be used to describe the motion of an object at any given time.

How do you calculate the displacement of an object in two dimensions?

To calculate the displacement of an object in two dimensions, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. This involves calculating the distance traveled in the x direction and the distance traveled in the y direction, and then using these values to find the hypotenuse of a right triangle, which represents the total displacement.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is projected into the air and moves under the influence of only gravity. It follows a parabolic path, with the maximum height reached at the apex of the path. This type of motion is commonly seen in sports, such as throwing a ball or shooting a projectile.

How does air resistance affect an object's motion in two dimensions?

Air resistance, or drag, can have a significant impact on an object's motion in two dimensions. It is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion and can cause a decrease in velocity and a change in the object's trajectory. This is especially important to consider for objects that are moving at high speeds or in a fluid medium, such as air or water.