Angular Momentum: Homework Question on 4-Mass Rotating Cross

In summary, the question asks for the angular velocity of the 3 remaining masses after one mass is detached from a rotating cross. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the angular momentum of the 3 masses and their center of mass relative to the point where the first angular momentum was calculated, before the separation, and adding the angular momentum of the fourth mass that was detached. This attempt is valid, but it is important to note that the angular momentum of the masses relative to their own center of mass is not 0.
yoni162

Homework Statement

4 masses are attached to a rotating cross. At some point, mass 4 is detached from the cross. What will be the angular velocity w' in which the 3 remaining masses will rotate about their center of mass (with the cross, which has no mass)?

Homework Equations

L(0)=L(of masses relative to center of mass)+L(center of mass itself relative to 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I calculated the angular momentum L1 = Iw (w is given). Next, I used the above formula, with a little addition. I calculated the angular momentum of the 3 masses relative to THEIR center of mass, calculated the angular momentum of their center of mass relative to 0 (the point where the first angular momentum was calculated, before the separation - 0), and to that I added the angular momentum of the fourth mass (which was detached) relative to 0. I then summed all three components. Meaning I got:
L2(relative to lab)=L(3 masses relative to their center of mass)+L(center of mass of 3 masses, relative to 0)+L(fourth mass, relative to 0). Then I wrote L1=L2.
I just want to know if this attempt is valid..

Attachments

• RotatingCrossOfMasses.gif
    RotatingCrossOfMasses.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems correct, but isn't the angular momentum of the masses relative to their own center of mass 0?

ideasrule said:
It seems correct, but isn't the angular momentum of the masses relative to their own center of mass 0?

Maybe I wasn't being clear, I was talking about the angular momentum of the masses relative to the center of mass of the 3 masses+cross. Anyway I solved the question, so thanks.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around a particular axis. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. The formula is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total amount of angular momentum remains constant. This means that if no external torque is applied, the angular momentum of the system will remain unchanged.

How does angular momentum apply to the 4-mass rotating cross?

In the 4-mass rotating cross, the four masses are rotating around a central axis. The angular momentum of the system is conserved, meaning that the total amount of angular momentum remains the same as long as no external torque is applied. This can be calculated by considering the moment of inertia and angular velocity of each mass and adding them together.

How does changing the distribution of mass affect the angular momentum of the 4-mass rotating cross?

Changing the distribution of mass in the 4-mass rotating cross will affect the moment of inertia of the system. As a result, the angular velocity must also change in order for the conservation of angular momentum to hold true. This means that the total angular momentum of the system will remain the same, but the individual angular momentums of each mass may change.