Another problem (Phase Change Heat Calculation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of cooling a gas and converting it into a liquid. The equation q=mcat is used to calculate the amount of heat needed to decrease the temperature from 70 to 56 degrees. To convert the gas into a liquid, the equation mols*hvap is used to determine the amount of heat required. The final step of cooling the liquid from 56 to 0 degrees is discussed, with a discrepancy arising from the use of a negative value in the calculation. The correct answer is found by adding the heat used to cool the gas to the heat needed to cool the liquid.
Lori

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-13_0-57-4.png

Homework Equations

q = mcat
mols*hvap

The Attempt at a Solution

To decrease temp from 70 to 56 degrees (bp), q=mcat = 1195.5
to convert this gas into liquid , must do mols * hvap = 29129 joules
to decrease temp from 56 to 0 thought, i get q= mcat = -7047 J (which is negative- is this wrong?)

it seems like the correct answer is when 7047 is positive after adding these up,. i get 37.37 kj. which seams like the answer (cant see it cause my professor erased it...)

Why wouldn't i subtract the last number?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-13_0-57-4.png
    upload_2017-12-13_0-57-4.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 757
Physics news on Phys.org
No idea where you got the minus from - cooling the liquid is no different from cooling the gas (for which you got the correct answer).

Borek said:
No idea where you got the minus from - cooling the liquid is no different from cooling the gas (for which you got the correct answer).
from mcat , i got the negative from change in temperature (final mius initial) so (0-56)

So, for colling of liquid ΔT = final - initial = 0 - 56 = -56, yes?

And what was the change in temperature for the cooling of gas?

Borek said:
So, for colling of liquid ΔT = final - initial = 0 - 56 = -56, yes?

And what was the change in temperature for the cooling of gas?
Oh I see. We are looking for any heat removed from cooling the gas so we should add heat to cool the liquid since it was used to cool the gas as well

What is phase change heat calculation?

Phase change heat calculation is the process of determining the amount of heat energy required to change the state of a substance from one phase to another. This can include solid to liquid (melting), liquid to gas (evaporation), solid to gas (sublimation), and vice versa.

Why is phase change heat calculation important?

Phase change heat calculation is important because it helps scientists and engineers understand how heat energy affects the physical state of matter. This knowledge is crucial in many fields, including materials science, chemical engineering, and environmental science.

What factors influence phase change heat?

The main factors that influence phase change heat are the type of substance, the amount of substance, and the specific conditions such as pressure and temperature. Different substances have different heat capacities and require different amounts of heat energy to undergo a phase change.

How is phase change heat calculated?

Phase change heat is calculated using the formula Q = m * L, where Q is the heat energy required, m is the mass of the substance, and L is the specific latent heat of the substance. The specific latent heat is a constant value that depends on the type of substance and the type of phase change.

What are some real-world applications of phase change heat calculation?

Phase change heat calculation has numerous real-world applications, including in the design of HVAC systems, refrigerators and freezers, and thermal energy storage systems. It is also important in understanding the effects of climate change on the Earth's water cycle and in studying the formation of different states of matter in the universe.