Exploring the Impact of Dielectrics on Electric Flux Density

In summary, the author discusses the effect of a dielectric region containing free charge on the total volume charge density. They show that the dielectric increases the electric flux density inside it by the amount of polarization, represented by P. The author also addresses the question of whether the electric flux density remains constant in a dielectric without free charges, and explains that it will increase by a factor of the relative permittivity of the medium.
bboo123
In the 7th edition of the book "Elements of Electromagnetics by Matthew N. O. Sadiku"

On page 190 the author goes on to say:

"We now consider the case in which the dielectric region contains free charge.
If ##\rho_v## is the volume density of free charge, the total volume charge density ##\rho_t## is given by:
$$\rho_t = \rho_v + \rho_{pv} = \nabla.\epsilon_0E$$ (Where ##\rho_{pv}## is the volume charge density due to polarization of the dielectric.)

Hence,
$$\rho_v = \nabla.\epsilon_0E - \rho_{vp} = \nabla.(\epsilon_0E + P) = \nabla.D$$

We conclude that the net effect of the dielectric on the electric field ##E## is to increase ##D##
inside it by the amount ##P##. In other words, ##\textbf{
the application of E to the dielectric material causes the flux density to be greater than it would be in free space.
}## "

Now my questions are:
1) I don't exactly get how did the author conclude the electric flux density increases by P from the last equation since E is definitely not the External electric field here, so it's wrong to compare it directly with the electric flux density in free space.
2) ##\textbf{And this is my main question}##, if the dielectric did not have free charges, can we say that the electric flux density ##D## ##\textbf{remains constant}##? i.e D is the same as it was in free space in the newly introduced dielectric.

Physics news on Phys.org
A dielectric consists of positive and negative charges which are bound to each other, i.e., there are no charges which are quasi free to move within the material (as is the case for metals, which are conductors, because part of the electrons are not bound to specific atoms but delocalized over the entire material). If you now put the dielectric in an external electric field there's a force on the positive (negative) charges in (opposite to) the direction of the electric field. The external field is ##\vec{E}_{\text{ext}}=\vec{D}/\epsilon_0##.

This induces dipoles pointing in the direction of ##\vec{E}_{\text{ext}}## and thus counteracting this field. At a point the induced dipole density (aka polarization) for not too large ##\vec{E}_{\text{ext}}## is proportional to the total electric field, i.e., the external field plus the field due to the dipoles. If the medium is isotropic the proportionality constant it's simply a scalar field, i.e.,
$$\vec{P}=\chi \epsilon_0 \vec{E},$$
where the factor ##\epsilon_0## is conventional.

Now the electrostatic potential due to the polarization is
$$\Phi_{\text{med}}(\vec{x})=-\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x' \vec{P}(\vec{x}') \cdot \vec{\nabla} \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}=+\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x' \vec{P}(\vec{x}') \cdot \vec{\nabla}' \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}=-\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x' \frac{\vec{\nabla}' \cdot \vec{P}(\vec{x}')}{4 \pi \epsilon|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}.$$
In the last step I've integrated by parts.

This means that the polarization is equivalent to a charge density
$$\rho_{\text{mat}}=-\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{P}.$$
So for the part of the induced electric field from the polarized medium you get
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}_{\text{med}}=-\frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{P}.$$
But now
$$\vec{E}=\vec{E}_{\text{med}} + \vec{E}_{\text{ext}}$$
and thud
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} (-\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{P}+\rho_{\text{ext}})$$
or
$$\vec{\nabla} (\epsilon_0 \vec{E}+\vec{P})=\rho_{\text{ext}}.$$
Now one introduces the auxilliary field ##\vec{D}=\epsilon_0 \vec{E}+\vec{P}##. Then
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{D}=\rho_{\text{ext}}.$$
With the above linear ansatz for the polarization this means
$$\vec{D}=\epsilon_0 (1+\chi) \vec{E}=\epsilon_0 \epsilon_{\text{rel}} \vec{E},$$
where ##\epsilon_{\text{rel}}## is the relative permittivity of the medium. Since for usual materials ##\vec{P}## is in the direction of ##\vec{E}## (as made plausible by the above heuristic model of a dielectric) you have ##\chi>0## and thus ##\epsilon_{\text{rel}}>1##.

Thus to get the same electric field inside the dielectric as in vacuum you need to make the external charges larger by a factor ##\epsilon_{\text{rel}}## to compensate for the counteracting electric field due to the polarization, ##\vec{E}_{\text{mat}}##.

vanhees71 said:
A dielectric consists of positive and negative charges which are bound to each other, i.e., there are no charges which are quasi free to move within the material (as is the case for metals, which are conductors, because part of the electrons are not bound to specific atoms but delocalized over the entire material). If you now put the dielectric in an external electric field there's a force on the positive (negative) charges in (opposite to) the direction of the electric field. The external field is ##\vec{E}_{\text{ext}}=\vec{D}/\epsilon_0##.

This induces dipoles pointing in the direction of ##\vec{E}_{\text{ext}}## and thus counteracting this field. At a point the induced dipole density (aka polarization) for not too large ##\vec{E}_{\text{ext}}## is proportional to the total electric field, i.e., the external field plus the field due to the dipoles. If the medium is isotropic the proportionality constant it's simply a scalar field, i.e.,
$$\vec{P}=\chi \epsilon_0 \vec{E},$$
where the factor ##\epsilon_0## is conventional.

Now the electrostatic potential due to the polarization is
$$\Phi_{\text{med}}(\vec{x})=-\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x' \vec{P}(\vec{x}') \cdot \vec{\nabla} \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}=+\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x' \vec{P}(\vec{x}') \cdot \vec{\nabla}' \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}=-\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x' \frac{\vec{\nabla}' \cdot \vec{P}(\vec{x}')}{4 \pi \epsilon|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}.$$
In the last step I've integrated by parts.

This means that the polarization is equivalent to a charge density
$$\rho_{\text{mat}}=-\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{P}.$$
So for the part of the induced electric field from the polarized medium you get
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}_{\text{med}}=-\frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{P}.$$
But now
$$\vec{E}=\vec{E}_{\text{med}} + \vec{E}_{\text{ext}}$$
and thud
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} (-\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{P}+\rho_{\text{ext}})$$
or
$$\vec{\nabla} (\epsilon_0 \vec{E}+\vec{P})=\rho_{\text{ext}}.$$
Now one introduces the auxilliary field ##\vec{D}=\epsilon_0 \vec{E}+\vec{P}##. Then
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{D}=\rho_{\text{ext}}.$$
With the above linear ansatz for the polarization this means
$$\vec{D}=\epsilon_0 (1+\chi) \vec{E}=\epsilon_0 \epsilon_{\text{rel}} \vec{E},$$
where ##\epsilon_{\text{rel}}## is the relative permittivity of the medium. Since for usual materials ##\vec{P}## is in the direction of ##\vec{E}## (as made plausible by the above heuristic model of a dielectric) you have ##\chi>0## and thus ##\epsilon_{\text{rel}}>1##.

Thus to get the same electric field inside the dielectric as in vacuum you need to make the external charges larger by a factor ##\epsilon_{\text{rel}}## to compensate for the counteracting electric field due to the polarization, ##\vec{E}_{\text{mat}}##.
Thank you for the reply!

My main question was regarding the Electric Flux Density ##D##.
So from what I have understood,

For an external electric field ##E_0##, let us consider a point O,

D at O for the case of free space will be ##\epsilon_0E_0##
Now, let us introduce an arbitrary dielectric medium at point O with a relative permittivity of ##\epsilon_r##.
So now the D at point O in space will be:
$$D = \epsilon_r\epsilon_0 E_{dielectric}$$
$$\mbox{But we know, } E_{dielectric} = E_0/\epsilon_r$$
$$\mbox{Hence, } D = \epsilon_0E_0$$
Which is the same as free space. So doesn't this contradict the author who went on to say that the Electric flux density in a dielectric is ##\vec{P}## more than the Electric flux density in Free Space?

That would indeed be wrong, because, as you write
$$\vec{D}=\epsilon_0 \vec{E}+\vec{P}=\epsilon_0 \vec{E}_0.$$

vanhees71 said:
That would indeed be wrong, because, as you write
$$\vec{D}=\epsilon_0 \vec{E}+\vec{P}=\epsilon_0 \vec{E}_0.$$
I am not saying it is always true, but for the specific case when the dielectric is neutral and experiences linear polarization, it is true right?

bboo123 said:
I am not saying it is always true, but for the specific case when the dielectric is neutral and experiences linear polarization, it is true right?
Given an E field in vacuum, ## \bf D = \epsilon_0 \bf E ##.
Inserting a dielectric of permittivity ## \epsilon ## increases ## \bf D ## to ## \bf D = \epsilon \bf E ##. ## \epsilon > \epsilon_0 ## in general. I am assuming an isotropic dielectric.

1. What is the purpose of exploring the impact of dielectrics on electric flux density?

The purpose of this exploration is to understand how dielectrics, which are non-conducting materials, affect the electric flux density, which is a measure of the electric field passing through a given area. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, such as electronics and materials science, to optimize the use of dielectrics and improve the performance of electrical devices.

2. How does the presence of a dielectric material affect the electric flux density?

When a dielectric material is placed in an electric field, it becomes polarized, meaning that its molecules align in a way that creates an internal electric field that opposes the external electric field. This results in a decrease in the overall electric flux density in the region where the dielectric is present.

3. What factors influence the impact of dielectrics on electric flux density?

The impact of dielectrics on electric flux density depends on various factors, such as the dielectric constant of the material, the strength of the electric field, and the geometry of the system. Dielectrics with higher dielectric constants and stronger electric fields will have a greater impact on electric flux density.

4. How is the impact of dielectrics on electric flux density measured?

The impact of dielectrics on electric flux density can be measured using a device called a Gaussmeter, which measures the strength of the magnetic field produced by the electric flux. This measurement can then be used to calculate the electric flux density in the presence of the dielectric material.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the impact of dielectrics on electric flux density?

Understanding the impact of dielectrics on electric flux density has various practical applications, such as designing more efficient capacitors, improving the insulation of electrical wires, and optimizing the performance of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones. This knowledge also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials for use in electrical engineering and other related fields.