Area of Polar Curve: Find r = 1 + 2cos(θ)

In summary: What does that imply for the area?In summary, the problem involves finding the area inside the inner loop of the limacon curve with the equation r = 1 + 2cos(θ). The formula for finding the area is A = ∫\stackrel{α}{β}(\frac{1}{2}r2)dθ, where α and β are the range of θ values for the inner loop. To find these values, one must look at both the polar and Cartesian graphs of the curve and solve for θ. The values are found to be α = 2π/3 and β = 4π/3. It is important to note that for \displaystyle \frac{2\pi
aub

Homework Statement

Find the area inside the inner loop of the limacon curve : r = 1 + 2cos(θ)

Homework Equations

A = ∫[itex]\stackrel{α}{β}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]r2)dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

i have the solution, my question is : how do you find α and β ?
here α = 2π/3 and β = π

A = 2∫[itex]\stackrel{2π/3}{π}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]r2)dθ

Physics news on Phys.org
aub said:

Homework Statement

Find the area inside the inner loop of the limacon curve : r = 1 + 2cos(θ)

Homework Equations

A = ∫[itex]\stackrel{α}{β}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]r2)dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

i have the solution, my question is : how do you find α and β ?
here α = 2π/3 and β = π

A = 2∫[itex]\stackrel{2π/3}{π}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]r2)dθ
Have done the polar graph of r = 1 + 2cos(θ)?

Have you done the Cartesian graph ?

SammyS said:
Have done the polar graph of r = 1 + 2cos(θ)?

Have you done the Cartesian graph ?

i did the polar one, i can see that its tangent to 2∏/3 on the origin but i can't get the point if there is any

and for the cartesian one, we never did that in class for those curves..

what were you hinting about?

thanks

aub said:
i did the polar one, i can see that its tangent to 2∏/3 on the origin but i can't get the point if there is any

and for the cartesian one, we never did that in class for those curves..

what were you hinting about?

thanks
You need to find the range of θ values that correspond to the inner loop, correct?

Looking at both graphs might help. Also, solving
1+2cos(θ) = 0​
for θ might help.

What is unusual about the values of r on the inner loop?

SammyS said:
You need to find the range of θ values that correspond to the inner loop, correct?

Looking at both graphs might help. Also, solving
1+2cos(θ) = 0​
for θ might help.

yeah, i thought what i need to do is solving for θ, it gave me α = 2∏/3 and β = 4∏/3 and i here i don't need to multiply the integral by 2 anymore.. I am lost :mad:

SammyS said:
What is unusual about the values of r on the inner loop

do you mean the symmetry?

also, if anyone can help me to find the area of the region R between the inner loop and outer loop
what would be α and β ?

i guess i got it just tell me if its right

so for the area of the inner loop A1, α = 2∏/3 and β = 4∏/3 and i apply the formula

for the area between the inner loop, i find the whole area with α = 0 and β = 2π then substract A1

SammyS said:
What is unusual about the values of r on the inner loop?
aub said:
do you mean the symmetry?
No. For [itex]\displaystyle \frac{2\pi}{3}<\theta<\frac{4\pi}{3}\,,[/itex] 1 + 2cos(θ) is negative, so r is negative.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a polar curve with the equation r = 1 + 2cos(θ)?

The formula for calculating the area of a polar curve with the equation r = 1 + 2cos(θ) is A = ½∫[a,b]r²(θ)dθ, where a and b are the values of θ that define the region of the curve being measured.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for calculating the area of a polar curve?

The limits of integration for calculating the area of a polar curve are determined by finding the values of θ where the curve intersects itself or the origin. These points will mark the beginning and end of the region being measured.

3. Can the area of a polar curve be negative?

No, the area of a polar curve cannot be negative. Since the area is calculated by taking the integral of the function r²(θ), which is always a positive value, the result will always be non-negative.

4. Is there a specific method for graphing a polar curve with the equation r = 1 + 2cos(θ)?

Yes, there is a specific method for graphing a polar curve with the equation r = 1 + 2cos(θ). First, plot points for different values of θ and r, then connect these points to create the curve. Alternatively, the curve can also be graphed using a polar graphing calculator or software.

5. Can the area of a polar curve be calculated for a negative value of θ?

Yes, the area of a polar curve can be calculated for a negative value of θ. The limits of integration may need to be adjusted accordingly to account for the negative value of θ, but the formula for calculating the area remains the same.