1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asinment 3

1. Oct 9, 2005 #1
    here was the original question. in the design of a super market, there are to be several ramps connecting different parts of the store. cusomers will have to push grocery carts up the ramps. An engineer has done a survey and found that almost no one complains if the force require is no more that 50 N. Will a slope of 5 degrees be too steep, assuming a 30-kg grocery cart (full of groceries)? Assume friction can be accounted for by a coeffecient of 0.10.

we found that 5 degrees is too high. the new question requires us to find out the actual degree. How would i find it help!!!!!!!!!!!!

i forgot to add the the formula that should be used is as follows
    Fapp= (coefficient of friction x mass x gravity x cos thada) + (mass x gravity x sin thada)
    i need help with the trig identities part more

PLZ solve full answer plz

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

Your formula is,

Fapp = mg(sinø + μcosø)

There are two ways of solving this - analytically or using an approximate method, e.g. Newton's method.

Analytically
    =========
    Use the substitutions,

sinø = 2t/(1+t²)
    cosø = (1-t²)/(1+t²)

where

t = tan(ø/2)

You will end up with a quadratic in t. Solve for t, then find ø = 2*arctan(t).

Or, if you have done Newton's method, you could do it that way.

4. Oct 10, 2005 #3
    ty

thatnks for ur help but i still dont understand what to do so i was wondering if u could coach me through it

5. Oct 10, 2005 #4

Fermat

Homework Helper

Have you made the substitutions for sinø and cosø in the formula Fapp = mg(sinø + μcosø) ?

6. Oct 10, 2005 #5
    yes

yes i did but i cant solve for either cos thada or sin thada

7. Oct 10, 2005 #6

Fermat

Homework Helper

You have to substitute for
    sinø = 2t/(1+t²)
    and
    cosø = (1-t²)/(1+t²)

In Fapp = mg(sinø + μcosø), replace sinø by 2t/(1+t²) and replace cosø by (1-t²)/(1+t²).
    This will give you a quadratic int t, which you then solve for, not for ø.
    See my earlier post, #2.

8. Oct 10, 2005 #7
    im really slow

can u plz write out step by step waht to do. im really slow sir plz

9. Oct 10, 2005 #8

Fermat

Homework Helper

tman, this is a help forum and I have given you a lot of help and advice, but you have to something yourself.

Have you read the sticky at the top of this forum ? If not, will you please do so.

I have given you adivice and help, now it is up to you to do some work and show me what you have done.

All you have to do is make a substitution; show me your work and I will comment upon it.

10. Oct 11, 2005 #9
    thx

thanks for ur hellp and all and im sorry i was a pest
    i solved it differently from how u showed me tho

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?