Supermarket Ramp Design: Finding the Optimal Slope

In summary, the engineer has done a survey and found that almost no one complains if the force required is no more than 50 N. This means that a slope of 5 degrees will be too steep, assuming a 30-kg grocery cart (full of groceries).
tman1
here was the original question. in the design of a super market, there are to be several ramps connecting different parts of the store. cusomers will have to push grocery carts up the ramps. An engineer has done a survey and found that almost no one complains if the force require is no more that 50 N. Will a slope of 5 degrees be too steep, assuming a 30-kg grocery cart (full of groceries)? Assume friction can be accounted for by a coeffecient of 0.10.

we found that 5 degrees is too high. the new question requires us to find out the actual degree. How would i find it help!

i forgot to add the the formula that should be used is as follows
Fapp= (coefficient of friction x mass x gravity x cos thada) + (mass x gravity x sin thada)
i need help with the trig identities part more

PLZ solve full answer please

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is,

Fapp = mg(sinø + μcosø)

There are two ways of solving this - analytically or using an approximate method, e.g. Newton's method.

Analytically
=========
Use the substitutions,

sinø = 2t/(1+t²)
cosø = (1-t²)/(1+t²)

where

t = tan(ø/2)

You will end up with a quadratic in t. Solve for t, then find ø = 2*arctan(t).

Or, if you have done Newton's method, you could do it that way.

ty

thatnks for ur help but i still don't understand what to do so i was wondering if u could coach me through it

Have you made the substitutions for sinø and cosø in the formula Fapp = mg(sinø + μcosø) ?

yes

yes i did but i can't solve for either cos thada or sin thada

You have to substitute for
sinø = 2t/(1+t²)
and
cosø = (1-t²)/(1+t²)

In Fapp = mg(sinø + μcosø), replace sinø by 2t/(1+t²) and replace cosø by (1-t²)/(1+t²).
This will give you a quadratic int t, which you then solve for, not for ø.
See my earlier post, #2.

im really slow

can u please write out step by step waht to do. I am really slow sir please

tman, this is a help forum and I have given you a lot of help and advice, but you have to something yourself.

Have you read the sticky at the top of this forum ? If not, will you please do so.

I have given you adivice and help, now it is up to you to do some work and show me what you have done.

All you have to do is make a substitution; show me your work and I will comment upon it.

thx

thanks for ur hellp and all and I am sorry i was a pest
i solved it differently from how u showed me tho

1. What is the purpose of finding the optimal slope for a supermarket ramp?

The purpose of finding the optimal slope for a supermarket ramp is to ensure the safety and convenience of all customers, particularly those with mobility challenges. A well-designed ramp with the right slope can make it easier for individuals using wheelchairs, walkers, or strollers to enter and exit the supermarket without any difficulty.

2. How is the optimal slope for a supermarket ramp determined?

The optimal slope for a supermarket ramp is determined by considering various factors such as the length of the ramp, the height of the ramp, and the space available for the ramp. The slope is typically measured in degrees or a ratio of vertical rise to horizontal length. The recommended slope for a supermarket ramp is 1:12, which means for every 1 inch of vertical rise, there should be 12 inches of horizontal length.

3. What are the potential risks of having an incorrect slope for a supermarket ramp?

An incorrect slope for a supermarket ramp can pose various risks, including accidents and injuries for customers with limited mobility. If the slope is too steep, it can be difficult for individuals using wheelchairs or walkers to navigate the ramp, and they may lose control or tip over. On the other hand, if the slope is too gradual, it can be challenging for individuals with mobility challenges to ascend or descend the ramp, leading to falls and injuries.

4. Are there any regulations or standards for the slope of a supermarket ramp?

Yes, there are regulations and standards for the slope of a supermarket ramp. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires that all accessible ramps have a slope of no more than 1:12, as this is the safest and most comfortable slope for individuals with mobility challenges. Additionally, the International Building Code (IBC) also recommends a maximum slope of 1:12 for all ramps, including those in supermarkets.

5. Can the optimal slope for a supermarket ramp vary based on location or other factors?

Yes, the optimal slope for a supermarket ramp can vary based on location and other factors such as weather conditions and the type of surface material used for the ramp. For example, in areas with heavy rainfall or snow, a steeper slope may be necessary to prevent water or snow buildup on the ramp. Additionally, if the ramp is made of a slippery material, a less steep slope may be required to ensure safety for all customers.