Backup Camera with optional power source bypass switch

In summary, you would need a 1N4007 diode to be installed on the bypass switch to prevent 12 volts traveling back to the manual switch as well.
Whitetm
I just installed a backup camera on my motor home , which is triggered by the reverse light wire. I would like to add a switch to the circuit so while I'm driving or just to be able to turn on the backup camera (using it as a rear-view mirror) without putting the vehicle in reverse. I probably need to add 1 diode to the backup light wire to prevent the backup lights from coming on when I turn on the camera using the additional switch (bypass). And will I need an additional diode to be installed on the bypass switch to prevent 12 volts traveling back to the manual switch as well? If I'm on the right track about all this, what size diode or diodes will I need?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Whitetm said:
will I need an additional diode to be installed on the bypass switch to prevent 12 volts traveling back to the manual switch as well?
No. "Size?" Voltage rating --- 12+ volts in principle --- in practice, diodes are cheap --- 50-100 covers transients; current rating --- you're not likely to have a clean heat sink for long if you go to the trouble of using one --- camera current times five or ten for a wire and forget installation.

Bystander said:
No. "Size?" Voltage rating --- 12+ volts in principle --- in practice, diodes are cheap --- 50-100 covers transients; current rating --- you're not likely to have a clean heat sink for long if you go to the trouble of using one --- camera current times five or ten for a wire and forget installation.
I'm not understanding what your telling (sorry). The power consumption of the camera is nil about .5 watts max, I'm not quite sure what the power consumption of the trigger is to start up the LCD screen. The unit is a kenwood Dx5120 which is a stereo/DVD player with the option for a backup camers

Whitetm said:
I just installed a backup camera on my motor home , which is triggered by the reverse light wire. I would like to add a switch to the circuit so while I'm driving or just to be able to turn on the backup camera (using it as a rear-view mirror) without putting the vehicle in reverse. I probably need to add 1 diode to the backup light wire to prevent the backup lights from coming on when I turn on the camera using the additional switch (bypass). And will I need an additional diode to be installed on the bypass switch to prevent 12 volts traveling back to the manual switch as well? If I'm on the right track about all this, what size diode or diodes will I need?

Whitetm said:
I'm not understanding what your telling (sorry). The power consumption of the camera is nil about .5 watts max, I'm not quite sure what the power consumption of the trigger is to start up the LCD screen. The unit is a kenwood Dx5120 which is a stereo/DVD player with the option for a backup camers

Can you just connect the camera to the general switched 12V for your motorhome? If it's that low power, there's not really a reason to shut it off when the motorhome is on...

I could and probably will if I can't figure this out. I just like to take it one step further. Plus when the camera is on it interrupt the srereo/dvd. I guess it's the idea of always flipping the switch on and off. If you know what I mean.

any diode will probably work...
camera.png

Can't you just press the NAV button for a few seconds to turn on the camera and view it from the headunit. I've got a Kenwood 812 that works that way. The camera is powered from the ACC bus and the reverse wire is connected to the headunit to switch to that video source when triggered by the reverse wire.

Thank you, Actually I figured it out all ready. I installed a 1N4007 and it works great. I remembered when I installed a remote starter in my wife's car there was a instance where a 1 amp rectifying diode was need too. At that time I purchased 20 of them because all of our family members wanted remote starters, so I have plenty of them to use.

Likes nsaspook

What is a backup camera with optional power source bypass switch?

A backup camera with optional power source bypass switch is a type of camera that is installed on the back of a vehicle to help the driver see what is behind them while reversing. The optional power source bypass switch allows the camera to be powered by a different source, such as the ignition, in case the original power source fails.

Why would I need a backup camera with optional power source bypass switch?

A backup camera with optional power source bypass switch can be very useful for drivers who struggle with backing up their vehicle, whether due to limited visibility or lack of experience. The bypass switch also provides a backup power source in case the original source fails, ensuring that the camera remains functional.

How does a backup camera with optional power source bypass switch work?

The backup camera is usually mounted on the back of the vehicle, and the power source is connected to the camera. The optional bypass switch allows the camera to be powered by a different source, such as the ignition, in case the original source fails. The camera then transmits an image to a display screen on the dashboard, allowing the driver to see what is behind them while reversing.

Is it difficult to install a backup camera with optional power source bypass switch?

The difficulty of installation depends on the specific model and make of the vehicle. However, it is recommended to have the camera installed by a professional to ensure proper installation and functionality. It is also important to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for the specific model of the camera.

Are backup cameras with optional power source bypass switch legal?

Backup cameras with optional power source bypass switch are legal in most countries, as they can improve safety while reversing and help prevent accidents. However, it is important to check the laws and regulations in your specific location to ensure that the camera complies with the requirements and is allowed to be used on the road.