Balancing Net Ionic Equation: Mg + HC2H3O2 --> Mg(C2H3O2)2 + H2

• Thread starter francisco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary: Mg: Mg(2+)Pb(NO3)2: Pb(2+) + 2NO3(-)Pb: Pb(2+)Mg(NO3)2: Mg(2+) + 2NO3(-)Now cancel out spectator ions:2NO3(-) on both sides, leaving us with:Mg(2+) + Pb(2+) --> Mg(2+) + Pb(2+)The net ionic equation is just:Mg(2+) + Pb(2+) --> Mg(2+) + Pb(2+) In summary, to balance the unbalanced equation Mg (s) + HC2H3O2 (aq) --> Mg(C2
francisco
i need help with the following problem:

rewrite the following unbalanced equation, changing it to a balanced net ionic equation.

Mg (s) + HC2H3O2 (aq) --> Mg(C2H3O2)2 (aq) + H2 (g)

thanks.

francisco

Physics news on Phys.org
Mg (s) + HC2H3O2 (aq) --> Mg(C2H3O2)2 (aq) + H2 (g)

i balance the equation:

Mg (s) + 2HC2H3O2 (aq) --> Mg(C2H3O2)2 (aq) + H2 (g)

then i write the equation, listing all the species present in solution.

Mg (s) + 2H(+) (aq) + (C2H3O2)2(2-) (aq) --> Mg(2+) (aq)
+ (C2H3O2)2(2-) (aq) + H2 (g).

i see that (C2H3O2)2(2-) undergoes no change during the reaction. it appears on both sides of the reaction arrow and acts merely as a spectator ion, whose only role is to balance the charge. the actual reaction, when stripped to its essentials, can be described more simply by writing the following ionic equation, in which the spectator ion
(C2H3O2)2(2-) is removed:

Mg (s) + 2H(+) (aq) --> Mg(2+) (aq) + H2 (g).

leaving the spectator ion (C2H3O2)2(2-) out of the net ionic equation merely implies that the specific identity of the spectator ion is not important: any nonreactive ion could fill the same role.

is this correct?

thanks.

francisco

Last edited:
Nicely done!

It is not a (C2H3O2)2(2-) but 2C2H3O2(-). Small, but very important difference.Borek

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone.I'm having some great trouble.I need to know how to write the net ionic equation for: Mg + Pb(NO3)2=Pb + Mg(NO3)2..

Please and thank you.

Start listing ions present in the solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Balancing Net Ionic Equation: Mg + HC2H3O2 --> Mg(C2H3O2)2 + H2

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the species that participate in a reaction, omitting spectator ions that do not undergo any chemical change.

2. How do you balance a net ionic equation?

To balance a net ionic equation, you must first write out the complete ionic equation, which shows all the ions present in the reaction. Then, cancel out any spectator ions on both sides of the equation. Finally, balance the remaining ions to ensure that the same number of each type of atom is present on both sides of the equation.

3. Why is it important to write a net ionic equation?

Writing a net ionic equation allows us to focus on the essential components of a chemical reaction and understand the actual substances that are involved in the reaction. It also helps to simplify the equation and make it easier to balance.

4. How do you determine the products in a net ionic equation?

To determine the products in a net ionic equation, you must first identify the reactants and the type of reaction (e.g. single displacement, double displacement, etc.). Then, write out the products by swapping the ions between the reactants and balancing the charges on each side of the equation.

5. Can you explain the steps for balancing the net ionic equation for Mg + HC2H3O2 --> Mg(C2H3O2)2 + H2?

First, write out the complete ionic equation: Mg + 2H+ + 2C2H3O2- --> Mg2+ + 2C2H3O2- + H2. Then, cancel out the spectator ions (2C2H3O2-) on both sides of the equation. Next, balance the remaining ions by adding coefficients where necessary: Mg + 2H+ --> Mg2+ + H2. Finally, check that the number of each type of atom is balanced on both sides of the equation, and adjust coefficients if needed: Mg + 2H+ --> Mg2+ + H2.