Band Pass Filter Transfer Function Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of values for C1 and C2 in a band pass filter given a set of resistors and cut off frequencies. The transfer function is derived and it is assumed that ([C2 x R2] / C1) can effectively equal 0 at the center frequency. The process involves using two equations with two unknowns, each with one value of the frequency.
pcrmx

Homework Statement

A band Pass filter is given with the following configuration, R-Resistor, C-Capacitor:

See Attatchment 1 - Circuit.jpg
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16241&stc=1&d=1225999965

R1 = R2 = 10 kΩ

C1 and C2 are unknown

Cut off Frequencies are: F1 = 180 Hz, F2 = 5500 Hz

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The transfer function derived is below:

see Attatchment 2 - tf.jpg

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16242&stc=1&d=1225999965

I have been informed that it can be assumed that ([C2 x R2] / C1) can effectively = 0, due to the fact that at the centre frequency the circuit effectively becomes a voltage divider, and at this point the gain would equal 1.

However I am unsure of how to derive the values of C from there, I have attempted to do make ([C2 x R2] / C1) = 0 and then put in values for omega, twice, once for each value of omega, and then tried using simultaneous equations to solve the c values, but with their being 2 values for omega I am getting stuck at a few points.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • tf.jpg
    tf.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,102
Physics news on Phys.org
At the two cutoff frequencies the real and imaginary parts of the denominator of the TF must be equal.
You have two equations, so you can calculate two unknowns. Since you have 4 unknowns, you can assign arbitrary values to your capacitors and calculate the values of the resistors.

CEL said:
At the two cutoff frequencies the real and imaginary parts of the denominator of the TF must be equal.
You have two equations, so you can calculate two unknowns. Since you have 4 unknowns, you can assign arbitrary values to your capacitors and calculate the values of the resistors.

I don't follow, I already have the value of the resistors, I understand that I have to use two equations, with each omega value, but when you get to simultaneous equations I can re-arrange to get say C1, but then to get C2 what value of omega would I substitute into get that value. Previously you have used the two values to get the C1 value?

pcrmx said:
I don't follow, I already have the value of the resistors, I understand that I have to use two equations, with each omega value, but when you get to simultaneous equations I can re-arrange to get say C1, but then to get C2 what value of omega would I substitute into get that value. Previously you have used the two values to get the C1 value?

If you already have the values of the resistors, use the two equations to get C1 and C2.
In one equation you use [tex]\omega=2 \pi 180[/tex]. In the other [tex]\omega=2 \pi 5500[/tex].

CEL said:
If you already have the values of the resistors, use the two equations to get C1 and C2.
In one equation you use [tex]\omega=2 \pi 180[/tex]. In the other [tex]\omega=2 \pi 5500[/tex].

Yes I get that part, but once you have a value of say C1, then in order to find C2 you must put C1 into the original equation. This original equation also has omega in it, for which I have two values. I am unsure of what value of omega to use, as I can get two values for C2 from this.

Last edited:
pcrmx said:
Yes I get that part, but once you have a value of say C1, then in order to find C2 you must put C1 into the original equation. This original equation also has omega in it, for which I have two values. I am unsure of what value of omega to use, as I can get two values for C2 from this.

You work with the two equations simultaneously, each one with one value of the frequency. Two equations with two unknowns.

CEL said:
You work with the two equations simultaneously, each one with one value of the frequency. Two equations with two unknowns.

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

1. What is a band pass filter transfer function?

The band pass filter transfer function is a mathematical representation of a band pass filter's ability to pass a specific range of frequencies while attenuating all other frequencies. It describes the relationship between the input and output signals of the filter.

2. How is the transfer function of a band pass filter calculated?

The transfer function of a band pass filter can be calculated by taking the ratio of the output signal to the input signal, both of which are represented in the frequency domain. This can be done using complex numbers and algebraic operations.

3. What is the significance of the transfer function in band pass filter analysis?

The transfer function is essential in band pass filter analysis as it allows for the evaluation and prediction of the filter's behavior. It can provide information on the filter's frequency response, gain, and phase shift, among other important characteristics.

4. How does the transfer function relate to the design of a band pass filter?

The transfer function is closely related to the design of a band pass filter as it helps determine the necessary components and parameters of the filter. By manipulating the transfer function, engineers can design a filter with specific frequency response and other desired characteristics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the transfer function for band pass filter analysis?

There are some limitations to using the transfer function for band pass filter analysis, as it assumes ideal conditions and does not account for non-idealities such as component tolerances and parasitic effects. Additionally, the transfer function may not accurately represent the filter's behavior in the time domain.