Understanding Velocity Direction in Basic Physics Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine whether a velocity is positive or negative and how to solve for the time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height. The formula V^2 = sqrt(Vo^2 + 2ay) is used to solve for the velocity, and the equation s = s_0 + v_0 t + 1/2 a t^2 is used to solve for time. It is important to know that a falling object has a negative velocity.
duki
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could explain how to tell whether V = - or +?

I'm getting answers right using the formula

V^2 = sqrt(Vo^2 + 2ay)

but I'm getting positive answers. How do you tell whether the velocity is in the + or - direction?

Sample Question:

A hot-air balloon is rising upward with a constant speed of 2.50m/s. When the balloon is 3.00m above the ground, the balloonist accidentally drops a compass over the side of the balloon. How much time elapses before the compass hits the ground?

I got V = 8.1m/s but the right answer requires using -8.1m/s.

thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
They expect you to know that a falling object hits the ground with negative (downward) velocity!

Both answers are consistent with the given initial conditions of acceleration and velocity. But only one of those answers is the one you're looking for. The other answer is the velocity the object would have to leave the ground with to end up 3 m high with the given speed. (In other words: What goes up, comes down. :wink: )

ah ok. that makes since... thanks!

hi,

i saw the thread and wanted to know how we would actually go about answering the questions it asks. I figured out how to solve the problem but I can't figure out how many seconds it would take for the compass to drop. please help.

thanks,

Z

deuceszbigz said:
I figured out how to solve the problem but I can't figure out how many seconds it would take for the compass to drop.
What have you figured out so far?

i basically have the same example, but the values given to me are different. the problem i have is:

A hot-air balloon is rising upward with a constant speed of 2.20 m/s. When the balloon is 3.50 m above the ground, the balloonist accidentally drops a compass over the side of the balloon. How much time elapses before the compass hits the ground?

i was able to solve as far as the other student, but then I get stuck. any suggestions?

The best equation for you to use is

[tex]s = s_0 + v_0 t + 1/2 a t^2[/tex]

Solving for t is then a quadratic. (Why does this topic have so many views?)

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to the rate at which an object moves. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force of attraction between objects with mass. The strength of this force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the closer the objects are, the stronger the force of gravity.

4. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or configuration. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

5. How does a simple machine work?

A simple machine is a mechanical device that helps to multiply or change the direction of a force. It works by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. Examples of simple machines include levers, pulleys, and inclined planes.