Beer Lambert problem, where did I go wrong?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Valenti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, the Beer Lambert problem refers to a mathematical relationship used in spectroscopy to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. The law states that the amount of light absorbed by a substance is directly proportional to its concentration and the path length of the light. Factors that can affect the accuracy of the law include purity of the substance, wavelength of light used, and other environmental factors. Scientists commonly encounter this law in spectroscopy, and common mistakes that can lead to errors include using impure substances and not properly calibrating instruments.
Valenti
Homework Statement
Light intensity decreases by a factor of 100 when light passes through a 1cm cuvette with solution. Molar extinction coefficient is 105M-1cm-1. Find concentration.
Relevant Equations
A=ECL
A = log(io/I)
A=ECL
A = log(io/I)
A = log100/1 = 2

2/105M(1cm) = 0.019M ~ 20mM

Apparently the answer is 2mM, where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks right to me, assuming you have copied the question correctly.

1. What is the Beer Lambert problem?

The Beer Lambert problem, also known as the Beer-Lambert law or Beer's law, is a mathematical relationship that describes the absorption of light by a material. It states that the absorbance of a material is directly proportional to its concentration and the path length of the light through the material.

2. What is the significance of the Beer Lambert problem in science?

The Beer Lambert problem is significant in science because it allows researchers to quantitatively measure the concentration of a substance in a sample by measuring its absorbance. This is useful in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.

3. Where can I encounter the Beer Lambert problem in my research?

The Beer Lambert problem can arise in any research that involves measuring the concentration of a substance using spectrophotometry or other methods that involve the absorption of light. It is commonly encountered in biochemical and environmental studies.

4. What are some common mistakes made when using the Beer Lambert law?

Some common mistakes made when using the Beer Lambert law include not properly calibrating the instrument, using the wrong path length, and not accounting for any interfering substances in the sample. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and double-check all calculations to avoid errors.

5. How can I troubleshoot if I am getting incorrect results with the Beer Lambert law?

If you are getting incorrect results with the Beer Lambert law, first check that you have followed the correct procedure and have accurately measured the path length and concentration. You should also ensure that the instrument is properly calibrated and that there are no interfering substances in the sample. If the problem persists, consult with a colleague or supervisor for further troubleshooting.