Blocks connected by rope on slope

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in a rope and the acceleration of two blocks, with one block hanging from the rope and the other on a slope at a 40 degree angle. By setting up the equations with the correct sign convention and assuming the most likely direction of acceleration, the final result is that the acceleration of both blocks is equal to 13.3 m/s^2.
superdave

Homework Statement

I just want to confirm this.

A block m1=10 kg is hanging from a rope. the rope is attached by a frictionless pulley to a block m2=5 kg on a frictionless slope with a 40 degree angle from the ground.

Find the tension in the rope and the acceleration of the first block.

Homework Equations

So the tension is the same for both blocks, and so is the acceleration.

m1 * a=-m1 * g + T
m2 * a=-m2 *g sin(40) + T

The Attempt at a Solution

T = m1 * a + m1 * g
T= m2 * a + m2 *g sin(40)

m1 * a + m1 * g = m2 * a + m2 *g sin(40)
(m1 - m2) * a = m2 *g sin(40) - m1 * g

a = (m2 *g sin(40) - m1 * g) / (m1 - m2)
a = -13.3 m/s2

I'm not sure about the negative. Because I set up the problem so - for the first block is down and + is up. and - for the second block is downslope and + is upslope. But if a is the same for both blocks, then it doesn't make sense.

But did I do everything right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the acceleration of m1 is down, then the acceleration of m2 must be up. Fix your equations accordingly. (With your sign convention, you can't call both accelerations 'a'.)

So would I do a1 and a2 with a1 = - a2 ?

Or do I have to do all the equations over again?

superdave said:
So would I do a1 and a2 with a1 = - a2 ?
That should work.

Or do I have to do all the equations over again?
Nope.

The trick I like to use is to guess the most likely direction and call it positive. Here I'd guess that m1 goes down, so I'd say that the acceleration of m1 was 'a' downward. And thus the acceleration of m2 is fixed to be 'a' up the incline. If you guess right, 'a' will turn out to be positive; if you guessed wrong, it will be negative. No worries.

Okay, thanks

1. How does the slope affect the tension in the rope?

The slope of the surface on which the blocks are placed affects the tension in the rope connecting them. The steeper the slope, the greater the tension in the rope as it must support the weight of the blocks against the force of gravity pulling them down the slope.

2. What happens to the tension in the rope if one block is heavier than the other?

If one block is heavier than the other, the tension in the rope will increase on the side of the heavier block. This is because the heavier block exerts a greater force due to gravity, causing the rope to support more weight and thus increasing the tension.

3. How does the angle of the slope affect the motion of the blocks?

The angle of the slope affects the motion of the blocks connected by a rope. A steeper slope will result in a faster downward acceleration of the blocks, while a shallower slope will result in a slower acceleration. This is due to the force of gravity being greater on a steeper slope.

4. Can the blocks ever achieve equilibrium on a slope?

Yes, if the slope is at a specific angle, the blocks can achieve equilibrium where the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the blocks. This angle is known as the angle of repose and varies depending on the materials and surfaces involved.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the motion of the blocks on a slope?

The coefficient of friction between the blocks and the slope affects the motion of the blocks on a slope. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a slower acceleration of the blocks, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a faster acceleration. This is because a higher coefficient of friction creates a stronger resistance against the force of gravity pulling the blocks down the slope.