1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc I - Finding average velocity using integration

1. Oct 29, 2005 #1
    Can I use integration to show why car 2 traveled farther than car 1 over a given time interval?

Here is some of the problem,

I have the following graph of two different velocity functions
    for two cars.

TI-89 Graph

The viewing window of this graph is x from 0 to 30
    and y from 0 to 100.

After integrating the velocity function I found the position function.
    Estimating the distances traveled by both cars from time t = 0
    to time = 30 I find,

Car 1 whose velocity function is the thin line on the graph
    traveled approximately 964.11 feet.

Car 2 whose velocity function is the thick line on the graph
    traveled approximately 1977.9 feet.

By looking at the graph it is obvious that the thick line has
    a larger region under the curve (from the curve to the x-axis) than
    the thin line.

Is it possible to integrate from 0 to 30 on each velocity function and show that the larger regions under the curve correspond to a higher average velocity over time interval 0 to 30 which is why car 2 traveled farther? Am I on the right track about dealing with the velocities of the cars? Should I also consider their acceleration as being a reason for why car 2 traveled farther?

I need explain why car 2 traveled farther. Is it possible to use integration to find average velocity?

In the original problem velocity is given every 5 seconds from 0 to 30 for each car. I could find the secant line over each 5 second interval and average those secant lines to find the approximate average velocity from time 0 to 30, correct? If possible I want to try to use integration to solve this.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2005 #2
    You have two velocity graphs and you want to find the average velocity. Your instincts are correct to integrate, but it's not just integrating from 1 to 30. Calculating the average value of a function, f(x), from a to b can be done as follows:

[tex]A(x)=\frac{1}{b-a}\int_{a}}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?