Calculate DeltaH between 700K and 800K

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter il postino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between partial pressures and the equilibrium constant for a reaction involving NO, NO2, and O2 at different temperatures. It is mentioned that the total pressure is 1 atm and the enthalpy change can be calculated using a formula. The speaker also asks for guidance in understanding the process.
il postino
Homework Statement
For the reaction 2NO2 <---> 2NO + O2
It is known to reach equilibrium at a total pressure of 1 atm.
And it is known that the ratio pNO / pNO2 = 0.872 at 700K
and the ratio pNO / pNO2 = 2.5 at 800K.
Calculate the enthalpy of reaction between 700 and 800 K
Relevant Equations
Van´t Hoff
Hi all
Knowing that ##kp## is:
##k_p=\frac{pO_2.(pNO)^2}{(pNO_2)^2}##
And knowing these relationships between the partial pressures, I obtained:
At 700 K:
##pNO = 0.872.pNO2##
##k_p=pO_2.(0.872)^2##

At 800 K:
##pNO = 2.5.pNO2##
##k_p=pO_2.(2.5)^2##

Furthermore it is known that ##pNO + pNO + PO2 = 1 atm##

We also know that:
##\Delta H=\frac{-ln(\frac{kp2}{kp1})}{1/T2 - 1/T1}##

I honestly don't know how to continue.
Could you guide me?
Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to assume that you start with NO2 and decompose it, i.e. that all the NO and O2 comes from NO2, and pNO and pO2 are not independently variable. Then if you know pNO/pNO2, you can work out pO2/pNO2, and knowing the total pressure, you can work out the individual partial pressures.

Likes il postino
mjc123 said:
I think you have to assume that you start with NO2 and decompose it, i.e. that all the NO and O2 comes from NO2, and pNO and pO2 are not independently variable. Then if you know pNO/pNO2, you can work out pO2/pNO2, and knowing the total pressure, you can work out the individual partial pressures.
Excuse me Mjc, I can't understand yet.

1. How do you calculate DeltaH between 700K and 800K?

To calculate DeltaH between 700K and 800K, you need to find the difference in enthalpy (H) at these two temperatures. This can be done by subtracting the enthalpy at 700K from the enthalpy at 800K.

2. What is the unit of measurement for DeltaH?

The unit of measurement for DeltaH is typically kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) in chemistry and physics. However, it can also be measured in joules (J) or calories (cal).

3. What is the significance of calculating DeltaH between two temperatures?

Calculating DeltaH between two temperatures allows us to determine the change in enthalpy of a substance at different temperatures. This information is important in understanding the energy changes that occur in chemical reactions and phase changes.

4. How does the temperature difference affect the value of DeltaH?

The temperature difference between the two points at which DeltaH is calculated can affect its value. A larger temperature difference may result in a more significant change in enthalpy, while a smaller temperature difference may result in a smaller change in enthalpy.

5. Can DeltaH be negative?

Yes, DeltaH can be negative. A negative DeltaH value indicates that the reaction or process is exothermic, meaning it releases energy in the form of heat. A positive DeltaH value indicates an endothermic reaction or process, meaning it absorbs energy from its surroundings.