In summary: I.e. 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 mv^2 - q∆VIn summary, an electron with a speed of 5.0x10^6 m/s is injected into a parallel plate apparatus and collides with the negative plate at 1.0x10^6 m/s. Using the equations for kinetic energy and electric potential energy, it can be determined that the potential difference between the plates is 68V.
SpyIsCake

Homework Statement

An electron with a speed of 5.0x10^6 m/s is injected into a parallel plate apparatus, in a vacuum, through a hole in the positive plate. The electron collides with the negative plate at 1.0x10^6 m/s. What is the potential difference between the plates?
Vi= 5.0x10^6
Vf=1.0x10^6[/B]
Me= 9.11x10^-31
q=1.60x10^-19

Homework Equations

Ke = 1/2 mv^2
Ee =q∆V
W=∆E

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I should calculate the change in KE of the electron.
Since masses are the same, I can cancel them out and only use velocities.
(1.0*10^6)^2 - (5.0x10^6)^2 = -2.4x10^13

-2.4x10^13/(1.60x10^-19) = -1.5x10^32

That is obviously an incredibly high potential difference. The answer in the textbook is 68V.

What's the proper ay to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Work with units (a very good idea in general), then the error will be obvious.

SpyIsCake said:
Ke = 1/2 mv^2
Ee =q∆V
What are E and e? Does not look right. q∆V has units of energy.
W=∆E

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I should calculate the change in KE of the electron.
Since masses are the same, I can cancel them out and only use velocities.
uh-uh
(1.0*10^6)^2 - (5.0x10^6)^2 = -2.4x10^13
This is 2 x ∆KE. Why 2?
-2.4x10^13/(1.60x10^-19) = -1.5x10^32
That is obviously an incredibly high potential difference. The answer in the textbook is 68V.
What's the proper ay to solve this?
How about final KE = initial KE - loss in potential energy.

1. How do I calculate the potential energy of an electron at a parallel plate capacitor?

To calculate the potential energy of an electron at a parallel plate capacitor, you will need to use the equation PE = qV, where PE is the potential energy, q is the charge of the electron, and V is the potential difference between the plates of the capacitor.

2. What is the unit of measurement for potential energy at a parallel plate capacitor?

The unit of measurement for potential energy at a parallel plate capacitor is joules (J).

3. How does the distance between the plates affect the potential energy of an electron at a parallel plate capacitor?

The potential energy of an electron at a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the potential energy of the electron will also increase.

4. Can the potential energy of an electron at a parallel plate capacitor be negative?

Yes, the potential energy of an electron at a parallel plate capacitor can be negative if the electron moves from a higher potential to a lower potential. This can happen if the capacitor is discharging or if the electron is moving from the positive plate to the negative plate.

5. How does the charge of the electron affect the potential energy at a parallel plate capacitor?

The potential energy of an electron at a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the charge of the electron. This means that as the charge of the electron increases, the potential energy will also increase.