Calculating Distance with Non-Uniform Acceleration

In summary, the particle moves along a straight line for 5 minutes and then stops. When it does, it has traveled a distance of 2.981424 meters.
SammyD97
Capture.PNG

Homework Statement

A particle is moving along a straight line such that when it is at the origin it has a velocity of 5m/s. If it begins to decelerate at a rate of a=(-2.5v^(1/2)) m/s^2, where v is in m/s, determine the distance it travels before it stops

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated the above expression twice with respect to time, to get an expression of s=(2(v^(5/3) t^2))/3+C1+C2. Where C1 ns C2 are constants. I've ended up with more variables than I have the know how to handle. I don't know what to do with the initial velocity. I thought of integrating with respect to v but it didn't make sense. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show your work.

How did you wind up with two constants of integration without one being multiplied by something else?

You know that when x = 0, v = 5 m/s. Did you apply these initial conditions to determine what the constants of integration must be?

Your integral is incorrect.
It stops when v = 0, right?
Graphically, I get an answer of less than 3m.

I would attack it like this:
since acceleration is the derivative of velocity and ##a = -2.5 v^{1/2}##
assume that velocity is of the form ##v(t) = c(t+a)^2##
Then ##v' = 2c(t+a) = -2.5 \sqrt{ c (t+a)^2 } ##.
Using initial information, you should be able to find a suitable solution for c and a, then solve your velocity equation for the time when v = 0.
Last, integrate velocity from 0 to t_final to get total change in position.

Thanks guys. will try it and see what I end up with.

What's wrong with solving the differential equation

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=-2.5v^{\frac{1}{2}}$$

for v as a function of t, subject to the initial condition?

Chet

SammyD97 said:
I integrated the above expression twice ...
Why twice, you only need to integrate dv once to end up with v, and you're solving for v = 0.

I missed that the question was about distance traveled, not time, so you will need to integrate twice.

Chestermiller said:
What's wrong with solving the differential equation
$$\frac{dv}{dt}=-2.5v^{\frac{1}{2}}$$

So that would be

$$\frac{dv}{v^{\frac{1}{2}}} = -2.5 \ dt$$

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
Why twice, you only need to integrate dv once to end up with v, and you're solving for v = 0.
So that would be

$$\frac{dv}{-2.5v^{\frac{1}{2}}} = dt$$
I would have had the -2.5 associated with the dt.

rcgldr said:
So that would be

I thought I needed to s end up with an expression for position / distance

SammyD97 said:
I thought I needed to s end up with an expression for position / distance
You're correct. I lost a update to my prior post; and it's fixed now. So yes, you can start with dv/(v^(1/2) = -2.5 dt, and noting that v = ds/dt, this results in some function f(ds/dt) + 5 = t. (5 being the constant of integration, in this case the initial velocity). Again you can separate the equation so ds and the s terms are on one side and dt and the t terms are on the other and integrate again.

Last edited:
You can use the distance traveled as independent variable instead of t. dv/dt=(dv/ds)(dv/dt)(ds/dt)=0.5 d(v2)/ds.You need to integrate with respect to s.

Last edited:
ehild said:
You can use the distance traveled as independent variable instead of t. dv/dt=(dv/ds)(dv/dt)=0.5 d(v2)/ds.You need to integrate with respect to s.
If using chain rule, shouldn't that be dv/dt = (dv/ds)(ds/dt) = v dv/ds ?

rcgldr said:
If using chain rule, shouldn't that be dv/dt = (dv/ds)(ds/dt) = v dv/ds ?

Yes, it was a typo, but the last formula is true. a=dv/dt= 0.5d(v2)/ds.

ehild said:
Yes, it was a typo, but the last formula is true. a=dv/dt= 0.5d(v2)/ds.
OK, but is it any simpler than just continuing with the chain rule result:

$$v \ \frac{dv}{ds} = -2.5 v^{\frac{1}{2}}$$

$$v^{\frac{1}{2}} \ dv = -2.5 \ ds $$

Which only requires a single integration, while the previously mentioned equation

requires two integrations.

As for the constant(s) of integration, the problem states that v = 5 m/s at t = 0 and s = 0, and that the initial position is s = 0, which allows you to solve for the constant(s) of integration with either approach. I got the same result for s using both methods.

Last edited:
Ok it took long for me to get back to this thread but I did get it eventually.

Likes Chestermiller
If anyone is curious the distance is

$$\frac{4}{3} \ \sqrt{5} \approx 2.981424 $$

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
If anyone is curious the distance is

$$\frac{4}{3} \ \sqrt{5} \approx 2.981424 $$
Yep.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Related to Calculating Distance with Non-Uniform Acceleration

1. What is non uniform acceleration?

Non uniform acceleration is the change in velocity over time for an object that is not constant. This means that the object's speed is changing at different rates over time, resulting in a curved or non-linear motion.

2. How is non uniform acceleration different from uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is when an object's velocity changes at a constant rate, resulting in a straight-line motion. Non uniform acceleration, on the other hand, is when the velocity changes at varying rates, resulting in a curved or non-linear motion.

3. What causes non uniform acceleration?

Non uniform acceleration can be caused by various factors such as a change in force, a change in mass, or a combination of both. Other factors that can contribute to non uniform acceleration include friction, air resistance, and external forces.

4. How is non uniform acceleration measured?

Non uniform acceleration can be measured by calculating the change in velocity over a specific time interval. This can be done using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

5. What are some real-life examples of non uniform acceleration?

Some common examples of non uniform acceleration include a rollercoaster ride, a car slowing down at a curve, a rocket launch, and a pendulum swinging back and forth. In each of these scenarios, the object's velocity is changing at varying rates, resulting in a non-linear motion.