Calculating Final Temperature Using Ideal Gas Law | Homework Help

In summary, the problem involves a rigid tank containing 5 kg of an ideal gas at 4 atm and T=40 deg C. After opening a valve and allowing half of the mass of the gas to escape, the final pressure in the tank is 1.5 atm. The task is to find the final temperature in the tank using the gas law equation pV=mRT. The equation can be used for the initial and final states, and the quantities known are the initial pressure, volume, and temperature, and the final pressure. The unknown quantity is the final temperature, and there is enough information to solve the problem.
MastersBound

Homework Statement

A rigid tank contains 5 kg of an ideal gas at 4 atm and T=40 deg C. Now, a valve is opened and half of the mass of the gas is allowed to escape. If the final pressure in the tank is 1.5 atm, the final temperature in the tank is?

Homework Equations

pV=mRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I know pV=mRT but I don't know how to use this equation for to different states i.e. beginning and end state.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation holds for the two different states, so you have
\begin{align*}
p_i V_i &= m_i R T_i \\
p_f V_f &= m_f R T_f
\end{align*}
What are the quantities you know? What other relationship were you given that relates the quantities?

That is it. That is the whole problem statement. No specific gas or fluid was given.

I know. There's enough information to solve the problem. Those questions were meant for you to answer.

To calculate the final temperature, we can use the ideal gas law equation in combination with the fact that the number of moles of gas remains constant in this process. This means that the initial and final states of the gas are related by the following equation:

p1V1 = p2V2

Where p1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and p2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume. We can also use the fact that the mass of the gas is halved, which means that the final volume is also halved from the initial volume.

So, we can set up the following equation:

p1V1 = p2(0.5V1)

We can rearrange this equation to solve for p2:

p2 = (2p1)

Now, we can substitute this value for p2 into the ideal gas law equation and solve for the final temperature (T2):

p1V1 = (2p1)(0.5V1) = mRT2

T2 = (p1V1)/(2mR)

Substituting in the given values, we get:

T2 = (4 atm)(5 kg)/(2)(0.5)(8.314 J/mol*K) = 239.5 K

Therefore, the final temperature in the tank is 239.5 K or approximately -33.5 degrees Celsius.

Related to Calculating Final Temperature Using Ideal Gas Law | Homework Help

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law and how is it used?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles (n) of an ideal gas. It is often written as PV = nRT, where R is the ideal gas constant. This law is used to calculate the unknown variables in a gas system, such as the pressure or volume, as long as the other variables are known.

2. How do I know if the Ideal Gas Law is applicable to my system?

The Ideal Gas Law is most accurate for systems that contain gases at low pressures and high temperatures. If your system does not meet these conditions, it may not follow the ideal gas behavior and other equations may be more appropriate.

3. How do I convert between different units in the Ideal Gas Law?

In order for the Ideal Gas Law to work, the units of pressure, volume, and temperature must all be consistent. You can use conversion factors to change the units to match, such as converting from Celsius to Kelvin for temperature or from atmospheres to Pascals for pressure.

4. Can I use the Ideal Gas Law for any gas?

The Ideal Gas Law is most accurate for ideal gases, which are theoretical gases that do not have any intermolecular forces or occupy any volume. However, it can still be used for real gases, as long as the gas is at low pressures and high temperatures and corrections are made for the gas's non-ideal behavior.

5. How can I use the Ideal Gas Law to solve for the number of moles of a gas?

To solve for the number of moles (n) in the Ideal Gas Law, you will need to rearrange the equation to solve for n. This will give you the expression n = PV/RT, where P is pressure, V is volume, T is temperature, and R is the ideal gas constant. Plug in the known values and solve for n using appropriate units.