Calculating Net Charge Inside a Cube in an Electric Field

In summary: N/C In summary, the electric field inside the large cube is constant in direction but increases in magnitude with the x-coordinate. The electric field inside the large cube is 4.5243 Coulombs.
Antonius

Homework Statement

A large cube has its bottom face on the x-z plane and its back face on the x-y plane. The corners on the x-axis are at (7.93 m,0,0) and (15.9 m,0,0). The cube is immersed in an electric field pointing in the positive x-direction, and given by:

E = (44.9x2 - 9.92)i, x is the distance along the x-axis in m, and E is in N/C.

NOTE:This means that E has constant direction, but increases in magnitude with the x-coordinate.

Find the net charge Q inside the cube, in μC.

NOTE: The sign of the charge is important!

Homework Equations

E * A = Q enclosed / ε

3. The Attempt at a Solution

E = ( 44.9 x^2 - 9.92 ) i

My first task is to find Electric field so I can use the formula that is provided in the Relevant Equations section. My question is more about math rather physics. Am I allowed to conclude that E is equal to [ ∫ 44.9 x^2 - 9.92 dx ] with lower limit being 7.93 and upper limit being 15.9? If that logic is correct then there is no other question. I got Q enc = 4.5243 Coulombs ...

Thank you Ψ

Physics news on Phys.org
Antonius said:
My first task is to find Electric field
Find the electric field? But you have been given, haven't you?

blue_leaf77 said:
Find the electric field? But you have been given, haven't you?
Well that's my question :D They gave me Electric field that varies over x.
My question is, is it alright if I take the integral of this ---> ( 44.9 x^2 - 9.92 ) with lower limits and upper limits as mentioned in the "My attempt" section? :/

Gauss law reads
$$
\oint \mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{a} = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}
$$
So, my first question is, how do you plan on integrating ( 44.9 x^2 - 9.92 ), e.g. what will be the surface element of the surface on which you will do the integration?
Antonius said:
My question is more about math rather physics. Am I allowed to conclude that E is equal to [ ∫ 44.9 x^2 - 9.92 dx ] with lower limit being 7.93 and upper limit being 15.9?
Let's hear your argument why you want to integrate with respect to x?

The surface is just a number (15.9 - 7.93) * 2 * 2
and only E is changing as x increases as it says in the problem - Note that E has constant direction, but increases in magnitude with the x-coordinate...

Isn't here where Integration comes into find the total E over the surface? :/

Antonius said:
The surface is just a number (15.9 - 7.93) * 2 * 2
What are you calculating with this? What are those 2's?
Antonius said:
Isn't where Integration comes into find the total E over the surface?
You mean the integral ##\oint \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{a}##? No, this integral is the total electric field flux going through a given surface. Your electric field has been given, you don't and should not find the field anymore. What you really want to calculate is the integral above, with the surface being all six walls of the cube.

blue_leaf77 said:
What are you calculating with this? What are those 2's?

You mean the integral ##\oint \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{a}##? No, this integral is the total electric field flux going through a given surface. Your electric field has been given, you don't and should not find the field anymore. What you really want to calculate is the integral above, with the surface being all six walls of the cube.

The 2's are two sides of the cube through which the Electric Field lines pass.

I am given the formula for E.
Where in the question do you see E that I can take and just plug in and get the final result? lol ...

With the surface being all six walls of the cube.? No ... that should not be correct ...

Antonius said:
I got Q enc = 4.5243 Coulombs ...
Can you show your calculation to get that number?
Antonius said:
With the surface being all six walls of the cube.? No ... that should not be correct ...
In general you have to take all surfaces into account, however in your problem the E field is parallel to some of the surfaces making the flux going into those surfaces zero.

blue_leaf77 said:
Can you show your calculation to get that number?

In general you have to take all surfaces into account, however in your problem the E field is parallel to some of the surfaces making the flux going into those surfaces zero.

Yes that was my point. It's only passing through two sides on the cube, that's why I multiplied the area by 2.

Well I am not sure about my math...

I integrated (E) 44.9 x^2 - 9.92 with lower limit = 7.93 and upper limit 15.9. I got 40.2219 N/C.
Then I multiplied this by the area ((15.9 - 7.93) * 2 * 2)
After, I multiplied this by ε just to get Q enclosed = 4.5243 C . . .

Antonius said:
I integrated (E) 44.9 x^2 - 9.92 with lower limit = 7.93 and upper limit 15.9. I got 40.2219 N/C.
This step is not correct. Ok you have known that the electric field only passes two surfaces of the cube, these are the surfaces which are perpendicular to the E field and are located at (7.93 m,0,0) and (15.9 m,0,0). Using the coordinate you are given in the problem, these two surfaces are parallel to the y-z plane. Now what you need to figure out is, since in doing the integral you need to integrate over these surfaces (separately), what will be the correct integration element?

blue_leaf77 said:
This step is not correct. Ok you have known that the electric field only passes two surfaces of the cube, these are the surfaces which are perpendicular to the E field and are located at (7.93 m,0,0) and (15.9 m,0,0). Using the coordinate you are given in the problem, these two surfaces are parallel to the y-z plane. Now what you need to figure out is, since in doing the integral you need to integrate over these surfaces (separately), what will be the correct integration element?

I am not sure why you are saying - you need to integrate over these surface (separately) ...

I am not getting it, if Integral ( E * dA )
then only E is variable and the area is constant ... I am not sure why the integral (equation) is wrong ... A hint? :(

Antonius said:
Yes that was my point. It's only passing through two sides on the cube, that's why I multiplied the area by 2.
Yes, the E-field is only passing through two sides of the cube.

Which two sides?

SammyS said:
Yes, the E-field is only passing through two sides of the cube.

Which two sides?

Excuse my cube but the sides which are highlighted are once through which the electric field passes.

Attachments

• lolo.jpg
    lolo.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 513
Isn't one of those sides at x = 7.93 and the other at x = 15.9 ?

SammyS said:
Isn't one of those sides at x = 7.93 and the other at x = 15.9 ?
Yes they are...

Is this where something is supposed to obvious? Well it's not ... D:

Antonius said:
Yes they are...

Is this where something is supposed to obvious? Well it's not ... D:
The E-field is one value over the entire surface at one of these ends, and another value over the entire surface at the other end.

No need to integrate the E-field over some range of x values.

Likes Antonius
If you elaborate the integral of the electric flux, you will write something like
$$
\oint \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{a} = \int_1 \mathbf{E}_1 \cdot d\mathbf{a}_1 + \int_2 \mathbf{E}_2 \cdot d\mathbf{a}_2 + \ldots + \int_6 \mathbf{E}_6 \cdot d\mathbf{a}_6
$$
where the subscripts in the integral sign, electric field, and the integral element denote the surface over which the integral is performed. In particular for the E field, a subscript following it means that this E field vector is that observed across the corresponding surface denoted by the subscript. Let's suppose the two surfaces which are traversed by the field perpendicularly are surface 1 and 2, the rest then do not contribute at all to the total flux and the 3rd up to 6th integral above should vanish. Leaving us with
$$
\oint \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{a} = \int_1 \mathbf{E}_1 \cdot d\mathbf{a}_1 + \int_2 \mathbf{E}_2 \cdot d\mathbf{a}_2
$$
what I suggest you to do is to express ##d\mathbf{a}_1## and ##d\mathbf{a}_2## in terms of Cartesian elements, e.g. ##dx##, ##dy##, and ##dz##.

I solved this problem already. As Sammy said all I had to do was [Eright + Eleft] A = Qenc / ε

Thank you all for help ΨΨΨ

Antonius said:
I solved this problem already. As Sammy said all I had to do was [Eright + Eleft] A = Qenc / ε

It is not correct. In the integral ∫Eda, da is a vector, normal to the surface and pointing outward, with magnitude equal to the surface area. At one face of the cube E and A are parallel, at the other one, they are antiparallel, so you have to subtract the contributions instead of adding them.

Likes Antonius
ehild said:
It is not correct. In the integral ∫Eda, da is a vector, normal to the surface and pointing outward, with magnitude equal to the surface area. At one face of the cube E and A are parallel, at the other one, they are antiparallel, so you have to subtract the contributions instead of adding them.

True that's why I wrote right and left. (I meant to write it as ErightA cos(0) + EleftA cos(180), hence, (Eright - E left) A.

1. What is net charge inside a cube in an electric field?

The net charge inside a cube in an electric field refers to the total charge present within a cube-shaped region when it is placed in an electric field. This charge can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the distribution of charges inside the cube.

2. How is net charge calculated inside a cube in an electric field?

The net charge inside a cube in an electric field can be calculated by summing up the individual charges present inside the cube. If there are more positive charges than negative charges, the net charge will be positive, and if there are more negative charges, the net charge will be negative. If the number of positive and negative charges is equal, the net charge will be zero.

3. What factors affect the net charge inside a cube in an electric field?

The net charge inside a cube in an electric field is affected by the number and distribution of charges inside the cube, as well as the strength and direction of the electric field. The net charge can also be influenced by the presence of other charged objects nearby.

4. Can the net charge inside a cube in an electric field be zero?

Yes, the net charge inside a cube in an electric field can be zero if the number of positive and negative charges inside the cube is equal. This can happen in a situation where the cube is placed in an electric field that is uniform and has no other charged objects nearby.

5. How is the net charge inside a cube in an electric field related to the strength of the electric field?

The net charge inside a cube in an electric field is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that as the strength of the electric field increases, the net charge inside the cube will also increase, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.