Calculating normal stress in a beam

In summary, normal stress in a beam is the force per unit area applied perpendicular to the cross-sectional area of the beam. It is calculated by dividing the applied load by the cross-sectional area and is typically expressed in Pascals or Newtons per square meter. Normal stress is a critical factor in determining the strength of a beam and can be influenced by factors such as the type of load, material properties, and beam geometry.
clurt
Hello

So I've done some calculations, I'd like to see if my stuff is right. Thanks :)

Please view attached http://i.imgur.com/AfMZyr0.jpg

area = (pi)(9^2) = 254.46

Cos53.13=15/CG
CG=25kN

Normal stress = 25000/254.46
=98.25

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 698
Physics news on Phys.org
You must train yourself to show units with your calculations. You show the normal stress as 98.25 what?

1. What is normal stress in a beam?

Normal stress in a beam is the force per unit area that is applied perpendicular to the cross-sectional area of the beam. It is a measure of the internal forces and stresses that are present within the beam due to external loads.

2. How is normal stress calculated in a beam?

To calculate normal stress in a beam, you need to know the applied load and the cross-sectional area of the beam. The formula for normal stress is stress = force/area, so you would divide the applied load by the cross-sectional area to get the normal stress.

3. What are the units of normal stress?

The units of normal stress are typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m2). However, in some cases, it may be expressed in other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

4. How does normal stress affect the strength of a beam?

The normal stress in a beam is a critical factor in determining its overall strength. If the normal stress exceeds the yield strength of the material, the beam may permanently deform or fail. Therefore, it is essential to calculate and consider normal stress when designing and analyzing beams to ensure they can withstand the applied loads.

5. Are there any factors that can affect normal stress in a beam?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect normal stress in a beam, including the type of load applied, the material properties of the beam, and the geometry and cross-sectional shape of the beam. Additionally, the location and magnitude of the applied load can also impact the distribution of normal stress along the length of the beam.