Calculating time period of oscillation

In summary, Homework Equations state that if the middle charge is moved a distance dy upwards, the other two charges move a distance dy downwards. If the middle charge is moved a distance dy downwards, the other two charges move a distance dy/2 in opposite direction. The time period for oscillations is found to be T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{ml^3}{3kq^2}}. If the middle charge is moved a distance dy/2 downwards, the other two charges move a distance dy upwards. Conservation of linear momentum is violated when using this method. Taking potential energy and force as function of 'y' and the given constants should result in the same equation.
Saitama

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=59723&stc=1&d=1371745489.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(see attachment 3)
If the middle charge is moved a y distance, then the other two move a distance y/2 in opposite direction. Similarly, the velocity in y direction of other two can be also calculated. As the rods are rigid, the component of velocities along the rod should be equal i.e
[tex]v_x\cos \theta-\frac{v}{2}\sin\theta=v\sin\theta \Rightarrow v_x=\frac{3v}{2}\tan\theta[/tex]
Calculating the energy of system and differentiating it w.r.t time and setting the derivative equal to zero gives the time period.
[tex]E=\frac{kq^2}{l}+\frac{kq^2}{l}+\frac{kq^2}{2l\cos\theta}+\frac{1}{2}mv^2+2 \times \frac{1}{2}m(v_x^2+\frac{v^2}{4})[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow E=\frac{kq^2}{l}+\frac{kq^2}{l}+\frac{kq^2}{2l\cos\theta}+\frac{3}{4}mv^2+\frac{9mv^2}{4}\tan^2\theta[/tex]
Since y<<<l,
[tex]\frac{1}{\cos\theta}=1/(\sqrt{1-\frac{9y^2}{4l^2}})=1+\frac{9y^2}{8l^2}[/tex]
I don't understand how should I write ##\tan^2\theta##
[tex]\tan\theta=\cfrac{\cfrac{3y}{2}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{9y^2}{4l^2}}}[/tex]
[tex]\tan^2\theta=\frac{9x^2}{4}\left(1-\frac{9y^2}{4l^2}\right)^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \tan^2\theta = \frac{9x^2}{4}\left(1+\frac{9y^2}{4l^2}\right)[/tex]
But I don't think substituting this in the energy expression is a good idea because I will end up with terms consisting ##v^2x^2## and ##v^2x^4##.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• oscillation.png
    oscillation.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 568
  • 3857-small.jpg
    3857-small.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 386
  • att3.png
    att3.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oscillations are found for small displacementas. Thake the displacement of middle charge dy. Assume that other two charges don't move.
Then proove that it oscilates in Simple Harmonic motion.

darkxponent said:
Oscillations are found for small displacementas. Thake the displacement of middle charge dy. Assume that other two charges don't move.
Then proove that it oscilates in Simple Harmonic motion.

What? I had to solve it this way? LOL, I was over thinking on the problem.

Okay, for this type of oscillation, I get:
[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{ml^3}{2kq^2}}[/tex]

Is this what you get?

Well, if i don't know whether there are other ways in which it can osscilates. Your diagrams do not seem to agree with this type of osscilation. But if it oscilates like this then i am also getting same answer as yours.

darkxponent said:
Well, if i don't know whether there are other ways in which it can osscilates. Your diagrams do not seem to agree with this type of osscilation. But if it oscilates like this then i am also getting same answer as yours.
I plugged in the values and got T=0.0444 but this is wrong.

I think taking yhe other two charges fixed was wrong. Take them movable, it still is the SHM.

Is the answer pi/10?

darkxponent said:
I think taking yhe other two charges fixed was wrong. Take them movable, it still is the SHM.

Is the answer pi/10?

How do you get ##\pi/10## (I don't know about the answer)? :confused:

If middle charge moves a distance dy, the other two moves a distance dy/2. That will result in a time period of
[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{ml^3}{3kq^2}}[/tex]

Pranav-Arora said:
How do you get ##\pi/10## (I don't know about the answer)? :confused:

If middle charge moves a distance dy, the other two moves a distance dy/2. That will result in a time period of
[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{ml^3}{3kq^2}}[/tex]

Look at the diagram given in question, according to that if middle charge moves a distance dy upwards the other two charges mobe a distance dy downwards(as l is constant). Why are you getting dy/2?

darkxponent said:
Look at the diagram given in question, according to that if middle charge moves a distance dy upwards the other two charges mobe a distance dy downwards(as l is constant). Why are you getting dy/2?

Conservation of linear momentum.

Is it wrong to use it here? :confused:

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
Conservation of linear momentum.

Is it wrong to use it here? :confused:

I am also confused about taking conservation of linear of linear momentum. It violates symmetry and the diagram as there can be other interactions as well I think the the better method would be taking the potential energy as function of 'y' and the finding force. But it is more or less the same.

I think we need help from senior members. I have asked ehild!

I have not watched the entire discussion, but: have you been able to express the potential and kinetic energies solely in terms of theta and the given constants?

When that is done, linearize the equation expressing conservation of energy assuming theta is small.

It should then be fairly simple to proceed.

voko said:
I have not watched the entire discussion, but: have you been able to express the potential and kinetic energies solely in terms of theta and the given constants?

When that is done, linearize the equation expressing conservation of energy assuming theta is small.

It should then be fairly simple to proceed.

voko, please check the OP, I have already stated why I am not able to proceed. I have used the same method you are stating (I think). Thanks! :)

I do not see any attempt or any problem in #1 in expressing ##v## via ##\theta## and ##\dot{\theta}##.

voko said:
I do not see any attempt or any problem in #1 in expressing ##v## via ##\theta## and ##\dot{\theta}##.

[tex]\sin\theta=\frac{3y}{2l}[/tex]
[tex]x=\frac{2l\sin\theta}{3}[/tex]
Differentiating w.r.t time
[tex]v=\frac{2l\cos\theta}{3} \dot{\theta}[/tex]

Is this what you ask me?

Assuming it is correct, yes (sorry, no time to check that now).

Now you have energy in terms of the angle and the angular velocity. Assuming the angle is small, derive an equation quadratic (at most) in them, and that should give you what you want.

voko said:
Assuming it is correct, yes (sorry, no time to check that now).

Now you have energy in terms of the angle and the angular velocity. Assuming the angle is small, derive an equation quadratic (at most) in them, and that should give you what you want.

For small angle, ##tan^2\theta=\theta^2## and ##\cos\theta=1-\theta^2/2##, right?

Please check my energy equation in the first post when you have time, thank you.

Pranav-Arora said:
[tex]\Rightarrow E=\frac{kq^2}{l}+\frac{kq^2}{l}+\frac{kq^2}{2l\cos\theta}+\frac{3}{4}mv^2+\frac{9mv^2}{4}\tan^2\theta[/tex]
Can you argue that the last term on the right is of higher order in the small quantities θ and v and can therefore be neglected?

Since y<<<l,
[tex]\frac{1}{\cos\theta}=1/(\sqrt{1-\frac{9y^2}{4l^2}})=1+\frac{9y^2}{8l^2}[/tex]
Everything looks good to me.

TSny said:
Can you argue that the last term on the right is of higher order in the small quantities θ and v and can therefore be neglected?
I initially thought of neglecting them but I wasn't too sure. I think its okay to do that.

Differentiating the energy equation w.r.t time and setting the derivative equal to zero, I get
[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{4ml^3}{3kq^2}}[/tex]
Is this what you get?

Yes.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Yes.

Thanks a lot TSny! :smile:

A slightly different approach:

The problem can be written entirely in terms of θ:

x1=-Lcosθ, y1=Lsinθ/3
x2=Lcosθ, y2=Lsinθ/3
x3=0, y3=-2Lsinθ/3 (middle atom)

These displacements leave the CM stationary.

The velocity components are: x1'=Lsinθθ', y1'=L/3 cosθθ' ...

KE= mL2θ'2(sin2(θ)+cos2(θ)/3)

PE=2kq2/L+kq2/(2Lcosθ)

Supposing maximum angular speed θ' was given initially at θ=0. The KE is zero when the angle is θmax=A

Initial energy: mL2θ'2(1/3)+2kq2/L+kq2/(2L)

Final energy: 2kq2/L+kq2/(2LcosA)

cosA≈1-A2/2 if A is small. 1/(1-A2/2)≈1+A2/2

So we get : mL2θ'2(1/3)=kq2/(2L)A2/2
θ'2=3/4 kq2/(L3m)A2 where θ' is the maximum angular speed.

For an SHM, maximum speed = amplitude * ω.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
A slightly different approach:

The problem can be written entirely in terms of θ:

x1=-Lcosθ, y1=Lsinθ/3
x2=Lcosθ, y2=Lsinθ/3
x3=0, y3=-2Lsinθ/3 (middle atom)

These displacements leave the CM stationary.

The velocity components are: x1'=Lsinθθ', y1'=L/3 cosθθ' ...

KE= mL2θ'2(sin2(θ)+cos2(θ)/3)

PE=2kq2/L+kq2/(2Lcosθ)

Supposing maximum angular speed θ' was given initially at θ=0. The KE is zero when the angle is θmax=A

Initial energy: mL2θ'2(1/3)+2kq2/L+kq2/(2L)

Final energy: 2kq2/L+kq2/(2LcosA)

cosA≈1-A2/2 if A is small. 1/(1-A2/2)≈1+A2/2

So we get : mL2θ'2(1/3)=kq2/(2L)A2/2
θ'2=3/4 kq2/(L3m)A2 where θ' is the maximum angular speed.

For an SHM, maximum speed = amplitude * ω.

ehild

Thank you ehild! This is much better. :smile:

Related to Calculating time period of oscillation

1. What is the formula for calculating the time period of oscillation?

The formula for calculating the time period of oscillation is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the time period in seconds, π is the mathematical constant pi, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in newtons per meter.

2. How do you determine the mass and spring constant for calculating the time period of oscillation?

The mass can be determined by simply weighing the object on a scale. The spring constant can be found by performing a simple experiment, in which you measure the displacement of the spring when different masses are attached to it. The slope of the graph of mass vs. displacement will give you the spring constant.

3. Can the time period of oscillation be affected by external factors?

Yes, the time period of oscillation can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, friction, and the elasticity of the spring. These factors can slightly alter the mass or spring constant, thus affecting the time period.

4. What is the significance of calculating the time period of oscillation?

Calculating the time period of oscillation allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects in simple harmonic motion. It is also a key factor in determining the natural frequency of a system, which is important in designing and analyzing various mechanical and electrical systems.

5. Is there a limit to how accurately the time period of oscillation can be calculated?

There is a limit to how accurately the time period of oscillation can be calculated due to certain limitations, such as the precision of the measuring instruments and the assumptions made in the calculations. However, with advanced technology and techniques, we can achieve a high degree of accuracy in calculating the time period of oscillation.