Calculating Work Done by Expanding Gas in Spherical Bubble

In summary: Because when I substitute the value of ##\Delta A## which is ##12\pi R^2##, I dont get the given answer. So there is some problem in the book.In summary, the gas inside a spherical bubble expands slowly, increasing its radius from R to 2R. The atmospheric pressure is ##P_0## and the surface tension is S. The work done by the gas is ##P_0\Delta V + 2S\Delta A##, where ##\Delta V## is the change in volume and ##\Delta A## is the change in surface area. The factor of 2 in front of the S is due to the bubble having both an inside and an outside surface. The given
AdityaDev

Homework Statement

(1)The gas inside a spherical bubble expands slowly so that its radius is increases from R to 2R. Atmospheric pressure is ##P_0## and surface tension is S. The work done by the gas is ___________

Homework Equations

work done against surface tension ##W_t = S.\Delta A## where A is the surface area and S is the surface tension.

The Attempt at a Solution

initial area =##(4\pi R^2)##
final area = ## (4\pi(4R^2-R^2))##
so W against S is ##S.8\pi R^2##
but the answer given is ##\frac{25\pi P_0R^3}{3} + 24\pi S R^2##
where did the first term containing ##P_0## come from and why is the second term ##24\pi SR^2##

Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding the second term, your algebra is incorrect, your equation for the final area is incorrect (your second equation gives for the change in area), and the surface tension acts at both surfaces of the bubble (so you're missing a factor of 2). With regard to the first term, you omitted the PdV work to push back the atmosphere.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
With regard to the first term, you omitted the PdV work to push back the atmosphere.
##P_{int}## is not a constant right?(as V becomes V+dV, P becomes P-dP)
so if I consider the process to be isothermal, I will get
##W_2=nRTlog(\frac{V_f}{V_i})##.
but there is no log term in the answer.[/QUOTE]

AdityaDev said:
##P_{int}## is not a constant right?(as V becomes V+dV, P becomes P-dP)
so if I consider the process to be isothermal, I will get
##W_2=nRTlog(\frac{V_f}{V_i})##.
but there is no log term in the answer.
No this is not the correct equation to use. If assumes that the gas expansion occurs isothermally and reversibly. If the initial pressure inside the bubble is high enough to cause the bubble to spontaneously expand to the final equilibrium volume, then the expansion is irreversible. If the gas is at equilibrium initially, then to increase its volume you need to increase the temperature or the number of moles. In all these cases, the work done by the gas is P0ΔV + 2SΔA.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
No this is not the correct equation to use. If assumes that the gas expansion occurs isothermally and reversibly. If the initial pressure inside the bubble is high enough to cause the bubble to spontaneously expand to the final equilibrium volume, then the expansion is irreversible. If the gas is at equilibrium initially, then to increase its volume you need to increase the temperature or the number of moles. In all these cases, the work done by the gas is P0ΔV + 2SΔA.

Chet

understood. if an air bubble expands in a liquid then the expression will be ##P_0\Delta V + S\Delta A## right?

AdityaDev said:
understood. if an air bubble expands in a liquid then the expression will be ##P_0\Delta V + S\Delta A## right?
Not exactly. The problem statement and answer book solution implies that the bubble is not in a liquid. It is a bubble in a gas (think balloon). The gas pressure on the inside surface of the bubble is given by:
$$P=\frac{4S}{r}+P_0$$
The volume of the bubble is:
$$V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3$$
So that:
$$dV=4\pi r^2dr$$
So, the differential work is given by:
$$PdV=(16\pi S r+4\pi r^2)dr$$
(I guess the 25 in the answer book solution should really be a 28.)

So the work is ##P_0\Delta V + 2S\Delta A##

The factor of 2 in front of the S is because a bubble in a gas has an inside surface and an outside surface.

Chet

Likes AdityaDev
I
Chestermiller said:
Not exactly. The problem statement and answer book solution implies that the bubble is not in a liquid. It is a bubble in a gas (think balloon). The gas pressure on the inside surface of the bubble is given by:
$$P=\frac{4S}{r}+P_0$$
The volume of the bubble is:
$$V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3$$
So that:
$$dV=4\pi r^2dr$$
So, the differential work is given by:
$$PdV=(16\pi S r+4\pi r^2)dr$$
(I guess the 25 in the answer book solution should really be a 28.)

So the work is ##P_0\Delta V + 2S\Delta A##

The factor of 2 in front of the S is because a bubble in a gas has an inside surface and an outside surface.

Chet
Thank you sir. The answer given must be wrong.

1. How is work calculated when a gas expands in a spherical bubble?

The work done by a gas expanding in a spherical bubble can be calculated by using the equation W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume.

2. What is the significance of calculating work done by expanding gas in a spherical bubble?

Calculating the work done by expanding gas in a spherical bubble can help us understand the energy transfer and changes in volume of the gas. This information is useful in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and physics.

3. How does the size of the bubble affect the calculation of work done?

The size of the bubble does not affect the calculation of work done, as long as the pressure and change in volume are accurately measured. The equation W = PΔV applies to all spherical bubbles, regardless of their size.

4. Can the work done by expanding gas in a spherical bubble be negative?

Yes, the work done can be negative if the gas is expanding against an external pressure. In this case, the work done is done by the gas on its surroundings, resulting in a negative value for work.

5. How is the calculation of work done affected by changes in temperature?

The calculation of work done is not affected by changes in temperature, as long as the pressure and change in volume are accurately measured. However, changes in temperature can affect the pressure and volume of the gas, which in turn can affect the work done.