Calculating Yield of CuSO4 Crystals from Reaction of H2SO4 and CUO

In summary: CuSO4.5H2OIn summary, the conversation was about calculating the yield of CuSO4 by reacting H2SO4 and CuO. There was a question about whether to use CuSO4 or CuSO4.5H2O for theoretical yield, and it was advised to use CuSO4.5H2O. The equations for balancing the reaction were also discussed, with the final equation being CuO + H2SO4 + H2O -> CuSO4.5H2O. It was also mentioned that all forms of CuSO4 are blue in color.
matthew77ask
I was tasked to calculate the yield of CuSO4 by the reaction of H2SO4 and CUO.
My equation says the it should get CUSO4 and H2O.

But should we use CUSO4.5H2O for theoretical yield instead since it is a crystal that we are calculating - if so then I could not balance the equation...

what should I use...

many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CuSO4.5HsO.

matthew77ask said:
what should I use...

CuSO4.5H2O.

Hi,

Logically CuSO4.5H2O., but

If I use
CuSO4.5H2O
then what to display in the equation ?

and how to balance it? or just balance without 5H20?
[why?]

Just balance with water, you are performing the experiment in solution - plenty of water around and it is built into the crystals.

Borek said:
Just balance with water, you are performing the experiment in solution - plenty of water around and it is built into the crystals.

5CuO + 5H2SO4 --> 5CuSO4 + 5H2O

CuSO4 + 5H2O --> CuSO4.5H2O

5CuO + 5H2O --> CuSO4.5H2O

correct?

thanks.

Coefficients should be lowest possible - so the first one is wrong.

Second is OK.

Third is not balanced, which is obvious at first sight - there is no sulfur on the left.

Opps!
I am trying to combine the two equations:

5CuO + 5H2SO4 --> 5CuSO4 + 5H2O

CuSO4 + 5H2O --> CuSO4.5H2O
Adding them

5CuSO4 + 5H2O --> CuSO4.5H2O

correct?

thanks.

Also, when we use CuSO4 for reaction calculations, when we use Mr(CuSO4) and when do we use Mr(CuSO4.5H20) ?

seems that all CuSO4 are blue - containing the 5H2O

Many thanks...

Last edited:
Try with

CuO + H2SO4 + H2O ->

Related to Calculating Yield of CuSO4 Crystals from Reaction of H2SO4 and CUO

What is the yield of CuSO4 crystals?

The yield of CuSO4 crystals refers to the amount of copper sulfate crystals that can be obtained from a chemical reaction or process. It is typically expressed as a percentage of the theoretical yield, which is the maximum amount of product that could be produced under ideal conditions.

How is the yield of CuSO4 crystals calculated?

The yield of CuSO4 crystals is calculated by dividing the actual yield (the amount of product obtained in the experiment) by the theoretical yield, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. The formula is: Yield = (Actual Yield / Theoretical Yield) x 100%.

What factors can affect the yield of CuSO4 crystals?

There are several factors that can affect the yield of CuSO4 crystals, including the purity of the starting materials, the reaction conditions (such as temperature and pressure), and the efficiency of the separation and purification processes. Other factors, such as human error or equipment malfunctions, can also impact the yield.

How can the yield of CuSO4 crystals be improved?

To improve the yield of CuSO4 crystals, it is important to use high quality starting materials, optimize reaction conditions, and carefully monitor the process to minimize any losses. Additionally, using efficient separation and purification techniques can help increase the yield. It is also important to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure consistent results and determine the average yield.

Why is the yield of CuSO4 crystals important?

The yield of CuSO4 crystals is important because it indicates the efficiency of a chemical reaction or process. A high yield indicates that a large amount of product was obtained, while a low yield suggests that there were significant losses or inefficiencies in the process. Knowing the yield can also help scientists determine the purity of the product and make adjustments to improve the process in future experiments.