Can You Calculate the Mass of a Water Molecule Using Avogadro's Number?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the mass of a water molecule when only Avogadro's number is given. The participants suggest using the molar mass of water, which is 18.02 grams, and using Avogadro's number to convert to grams per molecule. They also mention the importance of knowing the molar mass for solving chemistry problems.
Kamataat
Is there any way to find the mass of a water molecule when only Avogadro's number is given?

Thanks!

- Kamataat

Physics news on Phys.org
Think I got it!

The mass of one mole of water = 18 grams.

Avogadro's = 6.02x10^23 molecules/mole

18gms/mole divided by 6.02x10^23 molecules/mole should work, if my chemistry isn't too rusty. The mole units will cancel each other, leaving you with units of gms/molecule.

Should get something like 3x10^-23 gm/molecule. Actually a little less, since I rounded all numbers off.

Please correct me (anyone) if I am incorrect!

Good luck.

Steve

Yeah, that's how I'd do it, but I was asking because of the stupid excercise book. It gives all sorts of extra info in the back, in case it's required to solve a problem, but it doesn't give any molar masses. So I thought that maybe there's a clever way to solve this w/o the molar mass.

All I know is Avogadro's number, the definition of a mole (# of atoms in 0.012kg of [itex]C^{12}[/itex]) and Clapeyron's equation.

Thanks anyway!

- Kamataat

The easiest way to figure out the molar mass is to look at a pereodic table of elements...Off the top of my head, two hydrogen(1.01) and one oxygen(16), you just add those and get the molar mass.

Am I missing something...?

No, that definitely should be what you do. Most problems just don't give molar masses for things like water, carbon dioxide, etc. in some chemistry books because the value is given so many times over that it becomes one of those redundant things.

Given only avogadro's number, you definitely need to have the molar mass to find the number of molecules.

The average molar mass for an element is given on any periodic table, and certain isotopes can be looked up. Water is 2 hydrogens (1.01 each) and one oxygen (16) which gives 16 + 2(1.01) = 18.02 g/mol.

[tex] \left(\frac{18.02 g}{1 mol}\right) \left(\frac{1 mol}{6.02 \times 10^{23} molecules}\right) = \left(\frac{ x grams}{ 1 molecule }\right) [/tex]

Smith basically used this then multiplied by one mole then divided by one mole.

Thanks everyone for making this clear for me!

- Kamataat

Related to Can You Calculate the Mass of a Water Molecule Using Avogadro's Number?

1. What is the mass of a water molecule?

The mass of a water molecule is approximately 18.02 atomic mass units (amu) or 2.99 x 10^-26 kilograms.

2. How is the mass of a water molecule calculated?

The mass of a water molecule is calculated by adding the atomic masses of the two hydrogen atoms (1.01 amu each) and one oxygen atom (16.00 amu).

3. Why is the mass of a water molecule important?

The mass of a water molecule is important in understanding the properties and behavior of water. It affects its density, boiling and freezing points, and ability to dissolve other substances.

4. Is the mass of a water molecule constant?

Yes, the mass of a water molecule is constant and does not change regardless of its physical state (liquid, solid, or gas).

5. How does the mass of a water molecule compare to other molecules?

The mass of a water molecule is relatively small compared to many other molecules. For example, the mass of a carbon dioxide molecule is 44.01 amu, and the mass of a glucose molecule is 180.16 amu.