1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't see the error in the transfer function

1. Jan 18, 2015 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is the problem:

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 2.24.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 2.25.07 PM.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so I was REALLY confused as to why something wrong happened. Here is my work for the whole question:

IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg

Sorry for the terrible writing.

Okay so for part a), I derived the transfer function as required. I had to be careful about the impedance of the capacitor though. Then I went to fill in the table and I got the results displayed above.

It appears the bode plot information in part a) is correct by looking at part b), which indicates a high-pass.

What doesn't make any sense though is the phase plot. The phase characteristics I found in part b) are clearly correct, but do not match up to part a) at all.

I have been staring at this for an hour now and I can't see what's going wrong. Could someone shed some light on this?

Thank you.

EDIT: Please note for part a), I computed the phase ##\Delta \phi## by using:

##\Delta \phi = - \text{arctan}(\frac{\omega}{\frac{10^6}{1.2}})##

EDIT2: Wait wait I think I figured it out, I forgot about the ##90^o## angle for part a), so that would mean:

##\Delta \phi = 90^o - \text{arctan}(\frac{\omega}{\frac{10^6}{1.2}})##

EDIT3:

Never mind guys, everything appears to make sense now that I fixed the phase characteristic.

Thank you anyway.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

No worries! It's always satisfying to sort out a problem yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted