How Do I Solve for Variables in the Combined Gas Law Equation?

• Thread starter stasik50
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the equation provided is derived from the ideal gas equation and can be used to find the final value of pressure, volume, or temperature given the initial values of two of these variables. To solve for a specific variable, isolate it on one side of the equation and cancel out any common terms.
stasik50
So, I have an equation.

* = multiplication
i = initial
v = final
/ = Division
P = Pressure
V = Volume
T = Temperature

Pi*Vi / Ti = Pf*Vf / Tf

I'm not sure how to use this equation. I know that we are trying to find either Pressure Final, Volume Final, or Temperature Final. I'm not sure which one of these we are trying to find.

So can someone please show me how to use this equation (providing the numbers). I have a quiz tomorrow, and I don't know how to do this. I will be forever grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is derived from the ideal gas equation PV = nRT
PV/T = nR which is a constant for a given system.
This gives (Pi Vi) / Ti = (Pf Vf) / Tf

Suppose you know the initial values of temp. pressure and volume and any final values of any two of these state variables. You can then use this equation to find the third variable.

So how would I switch around the variables to find Pressure or Volume?

Oh, and how would you solve this equation?

The question will have to specify at least 5 variables, so that we can find the sixth in this equation. Maybe multiple data will given so that we can solve from it. Like, two different data and two variables, which CAN be solved.

But let's say we already have the 5 variables, can you please tell me how we would solve the sixth one? I'm not sure how to do that.

Thank you for all the help you've given me already.

You have: [tex]\frac{P_i V_i}{T_i} = \frac{P_f V_f}{T_f}[/tex]

Say you want to solve for P_f, just isolate that variable.

[tex]\frac{P_i V_i}{T_i} * \frac{T_f}{V_f}= \frac{P_f V_f}{T_f} * \frac{T_f}{V_f}[/tex]

Which after canceling some of the terms out of both sides we get:

[tex]\frac{P_i V_i T_f}{T_i V_f} = P_f [/tex]

1. What is the best way to understand a complicated formula?

The best way to understand a complicated formula is to break it down into smaller parts and try to understand each part individually. You can also try working through examples or seeking help from a tutor or teacher.

2. How can I improve my understanding of formulas?

One way to improve your understanding of formulas is to practice using them and working through different examples. It's also helpful to have a good understanding of the underlying concepts and principles that the formula is based on.

3. What resources are available to help me understand formulas?

There are many resources available to help you understand formulas, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and educational websites. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher.

4. How can I identify which part of the formula I am struggling with?

If you are having trouble understanding a formula, try breaking it down into smaller parts and see which part you are struggling with. You can also consult a textbook or online tutorial for a step-by-step breakdown of the formula.

5. What should I do if I still can't understand the formula?

If you have tried different methods and resources but still can't understand the formula, it's important to seek help from a tutor or teacher. They can provide personalized assistance and help clarify any confusion you may have.