Cartesian and polar coordinates - integrals

In summary, when converting integrals to polar coordinates, an extra "r" term is needed to maintain the correct dimensions. This is because while x, y, z, and r are all lengths, theta is only a number. However, when integrating with respect to d\theta dz, the extra "r" term is not needed as it is already included in the d\theta term. This is due to the fact that lines of constant theta become farther apart as r increases.
Niles

Homework Statement

When dealing with an integral integrated with respect to dxdy, I can convert this to polar coordinates, and then integrate with respect to dr d\theta. But I have to multiply with a "r" before integrating.

If I am dealing with an integral with respect to dydz, I can substitute this with d\theta dz, but not have to multiply with "r". Why is that? (And is what I wrote even correct?)

Physics news on Phys.org
- or do I have to multiply with "r" (being the radius, btw) every time, but when it's d\theta dz, I just insert the value for r, but when it's drd\theta, I have to integrate it?

Hi Niles!

I'm not sure what your y and z are …

But anyway, if you think about the dimensions, x y z and r (and dx dy and dz) are all lengths, but theta (and dtheta) is only a number.

So, to keep everything the right dimensions, you'll always need an extra r for every theta or dtheta, to make it a length.

(That's not a proof, of course … just a useful check when you're not sure you have the right formula!)

The area of the rectangle between x,y and x+dx,y+dy is dx*dy. The area of a the region from r,theta to r+dr,theta+dtheta is r*dr*dtheta. So if you are integrating a function over an area, that's where the extra r comes from.

Niles said:

Homework Statement

When dealing with an integral integrated with respect to dxdy, I can convert this to polar coordinates, and then integrate with respect to dr d\theta. But I have to multiply with a "r" before integrating.

If I am dealing with an integral with respect to dydz, I can substitute this with d\theta dz, but not have to multiply with "r". Why is that? (And is what I wrote even correct?)
I seriously doubt that yo can "substitute d[itex]\theta[/itex]dz" without multiplying by r but I don't understand what coordinates you are using. In converting from Cartesian, x, y, z, coordinates to cylindrical r, [itex]\theta[/itex], z the "differential of volume is r dr d[itex]\theta[/itex] dz. The only kind of integral I can think of that would involve "d[itex]\theta[/itex] would be on the surface of a cylinder. And even then, you would multiply by the radius of the cylinder. That is because lines of constant [itex]\theta[/itex] grow farther apart as r increases.

What are Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are a system used to locate points in a two-dimensional space. They consist of two perpendicular number lines, known as the x-axis and y-axis, which intersect at the origin (0,0). The x-axis represents horizontal distance and the y-axis represents vertical distance.

What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are an alternative system for locating points in a two-dimensional space. They use a distance and angle measurement to describe a point's position. The distance from the origin is known as the radius, and the angle from a reference line, usually the positive x-axis, is known as the polar angle.

How do you convert between Cartesian and polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), you can use the equations r = √(x²+y²) and θ = tan^-1(y/x). To convert from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the equations x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ.

What is an integral in Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, an integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and involves finding the antiderivative of a function. This can also be thought of as finding the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

How are integrals used in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, integrals are used to find the area of a region bounded by a polar curve. The integration process involves converting the polar equation into a form that can be integrated using the same techniques as Cartesian integrals. This can also be thought of as finding the total accumulation of a quantity over a given region in a polar coordinate system.