1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian and polar coordinates - integrals

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When dealing with an integral integrated with respect to dxdy, I can convert this to polar coordinates, and then integrate with respect to dr d\theta. But I have to multiply with a "r" before integrating.

If I am dealing with an integral with respect to dydz, I can substitute this with d\theta dz, but not have to multiply with "r". Why is that? (And is what I wrote even correct?)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2
    - or do I have to multiply with "r" (being the radius, btw) every time, but when it's d\theta dz, I just insert the value for r, but when it's drd\theta, I have to integrate it?
  4. Mar 10, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Niles!

I'm not sure what your y and z are …

But anyway, if you think about the dimensions, x y z and r (and dx dy and dz) are all lengths, but theta (and dtheta) is only a number.

So, to keep everything the right dimensions, you'll always need an extra r for every theta or dtheta, to make it a length.

(That's not a proof, of course … just a useful check when you're not sure you have the right formula!)
  5. Mar 10, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The area of the rectangle between x,y and x+dx,y+dy is dx*dy. The area of a the region from r,theta to r+dr,theta+dtheta is r*dr*dtheta. So if you are integrating a function over an area, that's where the extra r comes from.
  6. Mar 10, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I seriously doubt that yo can "substitute d[itex]\theta[/itex]dz" without multiplying by r but I don't understand what coordinates you are using. In converting from Cartesian, x, y, z, coordinates to cylindrical r, [itex]\theta[/itex], z the "differential of volume is r dr d[itex]\theta[/itex] dz. The only kind of integral I can think of that would involve "d[itex]\theta[/itex] would be on the surface of a cylinder. And even then, you would multiply by the radius of the cylinder. That is because lines of constant [itex]\theta[/itex] grow farther apart as r increases.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?