Change in speed needed for a satellite to graze the surface

In summary, the problem involves finding the change in speed of a moon lander orbiting the moon at an altitude of 1000km in order to graze the moon's surface one-half period later. This can be solved by changing the orbit from circular to elliptical, with the aposelene at the starting distance and periselene at the surface, similar to a Hohmann transfer trajectory.
Flipmeister

Homework Statement

A moon lander is orbiting the moon at an altitude of 1000km. By what percentage must it decrease its speed so as to graze the moon's surface one-half period later?

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{G}=\frac{GMm}{R^2}\\
T=√(\frac{4\pi^2 R^3}{GM})=\frac{2\pi R}{v}\\
v=\frac{2\pi R}{T}\\
KE_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}Iω^2\\
KE_{trans}=\frac{1}{2}mv^2\\
U_g=-\frac{GMm}{r}\\
Δs=v_i t+\frac{1}{2}a t^2\\
[/tex]
Radius of the moon is 1.74x10^6 m, so the radius of the 1000km orbit is 2.74x10^6 m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily calculate the velocity it had in its original 1000km orbit: ~1339 m/s. So I just need to find the new velocity, which should be a little under 1339 m/s...

Since I need to find a speed to get from one distance from the center of the moon to another in half a period, I tried starting off with kinematics. Seeing as there is no tangential acceleration, only radial, the tangential displacement, which is 0.5 of the circumference, should only depend on the initial tangential velocity (which is the initial velocity, since it was in orbit at first) and time. So I tried to find the time it takes to go from the initial to final radius, given by R(final) - R(initial) = v(radial)*t + 0.5at^2, so
[tex]10^6 m = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
Since the initial v(radial) = 0. Now the poop hits the fan. a=GM/R^2 so I get t=R(6.38x10^(-4)); already looking ugly. I end up with an velocity of (1.35x10^10 m^2/s)/R. The R there makes no sense, since that was the R from the acceleration and varies with time. I'm guessing the problem is the a I am using in my kinematic equation... a depends on R, which frankly seems to depend on a. I feel there is calculus involved; do I integrate/differentiate something? How do I use a in the equation so I can find my time?

Am I supposed to be using conservation of energy? I've considered it as well, but I couldn't get an initial velocity there because I have no final velocity to work with as far as I can see.

Physics news on Phys.org
Flipmeister said:

Homework Statement

A moon lander is orbiting the moon at an altitude of 1000km. By what percentage must it decrease its speed so as to graze the moon's surface one-half period later?

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{G}=\frac{GMm}{R^2}\\
T=√(\frac{4\pi^2 R^3}{GM})=\frac{2\pi R}{v}\\
v=\frac{2\pi R}{T}\\
KE_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}Iω^2\\
KE_{trans}=\frac{1}{2}mv^2\\
U_g=-\frac{GMm}{r}\\
Δs=v_i t+\frac{1}{2}a t^2\\
[/tex]
Radius of the moon is 1.74x10^6 m, so the radius of the 1000km orbit is 2.74x10^6 m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily calculate the velocity it had in its original 1000km orbit: ~1339 m/s. So I just need to find the new velocity, which should be a little under 1339 m/s...

Since I need to find a speed to get from one distance from the center of the moon to another in half a period, I tried starting off with kinematics. Seeing as there is no tangential acceleration, only radial, the tangential displacement, which is 0.5 of the circumference, should only depend on the initial tangential velocity (which is the initial velocity, since it was in orbit at first) and time. So I tried to find the time it takes to go from the initial to final radius, given by R(final) - R(initial) = v(radial)*t + 0.5at^2, so
[tex]10^6 m = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
Since the initial v(radial) = 0. Now the poop hits the fan. a=GM/R^2 so I get t=R(6.38x10^(-4)); already looking ugly. I end up with an velocity of (1.35x10^10 m^2/s)/R. The R there makes no sense, since that was the R from the acceleration and varies with time. I'm guessing the problem is the a I am using in my kinematic equation... a depends on R, which frankly seems to depend on a. I feel there is calculus involved; do I integrate/differentiate something? How do I use a in the equation so I can find my time?

Am I supposed to be using conservation of energy? I've considered it as well, but I couldn't get an initial velocity there because I have no final velocity to work with as far as I can see.

Hi Flipmeister, welcome to Physics Forums.

Think in terms of changing the orbit from circular to elliptical such that the aposelene is at the starting distance and periselene is at the surface. In other words, much like a Hohmann transfer trajectory.

gneill said:
Hi Flipmeister, welcome to Physics Forums.

Think in terms of changing the orbit from circular to elliptical such that the aposelene is at the starting distance and periselene is at the surface. In other words, much like a Hohmann transfer trajectory.

Thanks! My textbook hardly touched on the subject of Hohmann transfer orbit, so I was still lost for a while until I did some googling. :tongue:

1. What determines the change in speed needed for a satellite to graze the surface?

The change in speed needed for a satellite to graze the surface is determined by the satellite's altitude, the mass of the planet or object it is orbiting, and the gravitational pull between the two bodies.

2. Is the change in speed the same for all satellites?

No, the change in speed needed for a satellite to graze the surface will vary depending on the specific orbit and characteristics of the satellite and the object it is orbiting.

3. How does the change in speed affect the orbit of the satellite?

The change in speed will affect the orbit of the satellite by altering the shape, size, and speed of the orbit. It may also cause the satellite to move closer or further away from the object it is orbiting.

4. Can a satellite graze the surface without any change in speed?

No, in order for a satellite to graze the surface, it must undergo a change in speed to adjust its orbit and reach a lower altitude.

5. How is the change in speed for a satellite to graze the surface calculated?

The change in speed needed for a satellite to graze the surface can be calculated using the satellite's current speed, altitude, and the gravitational pull of the object it is orbiting. This calculation can be done using mathematical equations, such as Newton's law of gravitation.