Change of limits when integrating with polar coordinates

In summary, the integral ∫ e^(\pix^2) dx with limits -∞ to ∞ can be rewritten using a dummy variable and polar coordinates. However, the limits need to be adjusted for the integral to converge. It may be easier to use the fact that the double integral can be restricted to the first quadrant.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

∫ e^([tex]\pi[/tex]x^2) dx, with limits -∞ to ∞

Homework Equations

∫∫ dxdy = ∫∫ rdrdθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, here's what I've done so far:

Introduce a dummy variable y to get

∫∫ e^[tex]\pi[/tex](x^2 + y^2) dxdy, with limits -∞ to ∞ for both dx and dy

Introduce polar coordinates: x^2 + y^2 = r^2

The equation becomes:

∫∫ e^([tex]\pi[/tex]r^2) rdrdθ

But I don't know how to change the limits. Am I right in that the r limits stay the same and the θ limits change to [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 and -[tex]\pi[/tex]/2?

If this is right, when I integrate the first part, I end up with 0. Is this correct?
Thanks for any help.

P.S. I don't know why the pi is higher than the other figures, but it's meant to be at the same level!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all, the integral you give will not converge. [itex]e^{\pi x^2}[/itex] go to infinity to fast at each end. I am going to assume you meant [itex]e^{-\pi x^2}[/itex]
Since your integration includes the entire plane, you need for r to go from 0 to [itex]\infty[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/b] to go from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

But you might find it easier to use the fact that [itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-\pi x^2}dx= 2\int_0^\infty e^{-\pi x^2}dx[/itex] so that the double integral is restricted to the first quadrant. r still goes from 0 to [itex]\infty[/itex] but [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

1. What is the concept of change of limits when integrating with polar coordinates?

The change of limits when integrating with polar coordinates refers to the process of converting a double integral in Cartesian coordinates to a double integral in polar coordinates. This is done by changing the limits of integration from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates.

2. Why is it necessary to change the limits when integrating with polar coordinates?

Changing the limits when integrating with polar coordinates allows for easier integration of functions that are better expressed in polar coordinates, such as circular or symmetric functions.

3. How do you change the limits when integrating with polar coordinates?

To change the limits when integrating with polar coordinates, the first step is to draw a graph of the region of integration in the polar plane. Then, use the relationships between Cartesian and polar coordinates to express the limits in terms of the polar angle theta.

4. Can change of limits affect the value of the integral?

Yes, changing the limits when integrating with polar coordinates can affect the value of the integral. This is because the limits of integration determine the region over which the integration is being performed, which can change the value of the integral.

5. Are there any special cases when changing the limits when integrating with polar coordinates?

Yes, there are some special cases when changing the limits when integrating with polar coordinates. These include when the region of integration is a circle or when the function being integrated is symmetric about the origin. In these cases, the limits of integration can be simplified and the integral can be evaluated more easily.