Charge on a point in three different locations with a thin semicircular rod

In summary, a thin semicircular rod is broken into two halves. The top half has a total charge +Q uniformly distributed along it, and the bottom half has a total charge -Q uniformly distributed along it. Indicate the direction of the net electric force on a positive test charge placed in turn at points A, B, C. Had A's force vector pointing down and to the right, same with b and C pointing down and to the left but I am not sure about my answers.Think about the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions separately. E.g. for A, compare the horizontal forces (i.e. along the line AB) exerted by the two quadrants.I can't really visualize it but my guess
swagadoo

Homework Statement

A thin semicircular rod is broken into two halves, the top half has a total charge +Q uniformly distributed along it, and the bottom half has a total charge -Q uniformly distributed along it.
http://imgur.com/tObt2V0

Homework Equations

Indicate the direction of the net electric force on a positive test charge placed in turn at points A, B, C.

The Attempt at a Solution

Had A's force vector pointing down and to the right, same with b and C pointing down and to the left but I am not sure about my answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions separately. E.g. for A, compare the horizontal forces (i.e. along the line AB) exerted by the two quadrants.

I can't really visualize it but my guess is that the horizontal component of +Q would be to the left and the -Q would have a horizontal component equal and opposite so to the right. The vertical component of +Q on the charges would be down, same with the -Q charge.

Exactly so. So the resultant force is in which direction?

Down and to the right. Would it be the same for both A and B. And C would be down and to the right?

or is the resultant straight down?

If the horizontal components are opposite (and equal in magnitude, since all distances are the same for the + and for the - quadrant), don't they cancel each other?

fgb said:
If the horizontal components are opposite (and equal in magnitude, since all distances are the same for the + and for the - quadrant), don't they cancel each other?
yeah that's what I am thinking

Yeah, so the resultant is straight down, like you said :)

So all of the points; A,B, and C would have the same vector pointing down?

The magnitude of said vector would change according to distance from the point to the quadrants (i.e., the vector is smaller for point A than for point B), but it is indeed straight down for three points :)

Thank you very much.

1. What is meant by "charge on a point" in relation to a thin semicircular rod?

"Charge on a point" refers to the amount of electric charge that is present at a single point on the surface of a thin semicircular rod. This charge can be either positive or negative, and is measured in coulombs.

2. How does the location of the point affect the charge on a thin semicircular rod?

The location of the point on the rod can affect the charge in a few ways. For instance, if the point is closer to one end of the rod, the charge may be stronger at that point. Additionally, the charge may be unevenly distributed along the rod, depending on the specific location of the point.

3. What are the three different locations being referred to in this context?

The three different locations being referred to are the center of the semicircular rod, a point on the edge of the rod, and a point on the surface of the rod. These locations may have different effects on the charge of the rod due to their distance from the source of the charge.

4. How does the charge on a thin semicircular rod differ from that of a fully circular rod?

A thin semicircular rod has a charge that is only present on one side, while a fully circular rod has a charge that is evenly distributed around its entire surface. This can result in different electric fields and forces acting on the rod.

5. Can the charge on a point be changed on a thin semicircular rod?

Yes, the charge on a point can be changed by adding or removing electric charge from the rod, or by altering the position of the point relative to the rod. The amount of charge on the rod can also be changed by changing the material of the rod or the environment it is in.