Chemistry - Gas Law Stiochiometry

In summary, acetylene torches use a mixture of acetylene gas and oxygen gas for welding. To ensure that both gas tanks run out at the same time, the larger oxygen tank should be filled to a pressure of 105 atm, and the smaller acetylene tank should be filled to a pressure calculated using the ideal gas law and mole ratio. Room temperature can be assumed for the calculations.
sam.

Homework Statement

Acetylene torches are used for welding. These torches use a mixture of acetylene gas, C_2H_2, and oxygen gas, O_2 to produce the following combustion reaction:

2C_2H_2(g) + 5O_2(g) --> 4CO_2(g) + 2H_2O(g)

Imagine that you have a 6.50 L gas tank and a 4.50 L gas tank. You need to fill one tank with oxygen and the other with acetylene to use in conjunction with your welding torch. If you fill the larger tank with oxygen to a pressure of 105 atm, to what pressure should you fill the acetylene tank to ensure that you run out of each gas at the same time?

Homework Equations

Boyle's Law: P_1V_1 = P_2V_2
Charles Law: V_1/T_1 = V_1/T_1
Ideal Gas Law: PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I think that I have to find temperature because then I would be able to sub that into PV = nRT to find the number of moles for oxygen and then using mole ratio I can find the moles of acetylene and then sub that into the ideal gas law to find the pressure for acetylene. But I'm not exactly sure how to calculate temperature. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume room temperature.

Hello! Your approach is on the right track. To find the temperature, you can use the combined gas law: P_1V_1/T_1 = P_2V_2/T_2. Since the tanks are being filled with the same amount of gas, you can set the initial pressure and volume for both tanks to be equal (105 atm and 6.50 L for oxygen, and unknown pressure and 4.50 L for acetylene). Then, solve for the unknown temperature.

Once you have the temperature, you can use the ideal gas law to find the number of moles of oxygen in the larger tank. Then, use the mole ratio from the balanced equation (5 moles of oxygen per 2 moles of acetylene) to find the number of moles of acetylene needed. Finally, use the ideal gas law again with the volume of the smaller tank and the calculated number of moles of acetylene to find the pressure needed to fill the acetylene tank.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is gas law stoichiometry?

Gas law stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between the amounts of reactants and products in a chemical reaction involving gases. It uses the principles of gas laws, such as Boyle's Law and Avogadro's Law, to determine the amounts of reactants and products present in a reaction.

2. How do gas laws apply to stoichiometry?

Gas laws, such as Boyle's Law and Avogadro's Law, describe the behavior of gases under different conditions of pressure, temperature, and volume. These laws can be applied to stoichiometry by using the ideal gas law equation, PV = nRT, to calculate the number of moles of gases involved in a reaction. This information can then be used to determine the amounts of reactants and products present.

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, is a mathematical equation that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It combines Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Avogadro's Law into one equation and is used to calculate the number of moles of gas present in a reaction.

4. How do you calculate the number of moles of a gas using the ideal gas law?

To calculate the number of moles of a gas using the ideal gas law, you need to know the pressure, volume, temperature, and the universal gas constant (R). First, rearrange the equation to solve for n (number of moles). Then, substitute the known values and solve for n. The resulting value will be the number of moles of gas present.

5. Can gas law stoichiometry be used for all chemical reactions?

No, gas law stoichiometry can only be applied to reactions involving gases. It cannot be used for reactions involving solids or liquids. Additionally, the gases involved in the reaction must behave ideally, meaning they must follow the ideal gas law at the given conditions. If the gases do not behave ideally, more complex equations, such as the van der Waals equation, must be used.