Solve Chemistry Homework: Mass of SO2 in 20L Cylinder @ 40°C, 200kPa

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the mass of SO2 in a 20-L cylinder at 40°C and 200 kPa pressure. The equation n=PV/RT is used to find the number of moles, which is then multiplied by the molar mass of SO2 to get the mass of 97.92 grams. The person initially struggled with finding a missing value for the equation M=mRT/PV, but eventually realizes that it is simply the molar mass of SO2.
kro041193
Hi! ... How can I anwer this question? please is for tomorrow!

calculate the mass of SO2 contained in a 20-L cylinder exposed to the sun at 40°C if the pressure exerted by the gas is 200 kPa.

Homework Equations

the things I have are:
S= 32 O=16(2) SO2= 62
V= 20-L
T= 40°C = 313 K
P= 200 kPa
R= 8.31

then i made this equation:

n=PV/RT snd i got n= 1.53 mols

then I think I have to make this equation:

M=mRT/PV but i don't know the value of "m" :S

could someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know number of moles - now just calculate mass.

but with what equation? because the equation that i think i could use .. i can't use it because I am missing a value ... if the equation is M=mRT/PV I am missing the "m" value so i can't do this equation

You are overthinking. You have already used ideal gas properties, now go back to the very first chemistry lessons.

What is molar mass of SO2?

the molar mass of SO2 is 62

So what is mass of 1.53 moles of SO2?

Wasn't that hard.

--
methods

i know! i was so stuck in something really easy! thnx!

1. What is the formula for calculating mass of a gas?

The formula for calculating mass of a gas is mass = (pressure * volume) / (gas constant * temperature). This formula is known as the Ideal Gas Law.

2. How do I find the value for pressure (P) in the Ideal Gas Law?

The pressure value (P) can be found by converting the given pressure unit to Pascals (Pa), as the gas constant (R) in the Ideal Gas Law has units of Pa.m³/mol.K. In this case, the given pressure of 200kPa would be converted to 200,000 Pa.

3. What is the gas constant (R) used for in the Ideal Gas Law?

The gas constant (R) is a proportionality constant used in the Ideal Gas Law to relate the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas to its mass. It has a value of 8.314 J/mol.K.

4. How do I convert the given temperature of 40°C to Kelvin (K)?

To convert from degrees Celsius (°C) to Kelvin (K), simply add 273.15 to the given temperature. In this case, the temperature of 40°C would be converted to 313.15K.

5. What is the unit for mass in the Ideal Gas Law formula?

The unit for mass in the Ideal Gas Law is usually grams (g). However, depending on the given values and units, the mass can also be expressed in other units such as kilograms (kg) or moles (mol).