How can I design a circuit with specific voltage and resistance specifications?

In summary, the problem was that the region satisfying the 5% requirement was underneath a hyperbola and it didn't always intersect the other region.
painfive
Hi. I'm having trouble on this problem, and hopefully someone here can help me. It seems really simple, but every way I try to do it either leads to a dead end, or in one case, a very complicated answer that's probably wrong.

Here's the problem (the picture's attatched). RS is the internal resistance of the battery, and is 35 Ohms when it's new and gets up to 200 after it wears down. R1 and R2 must be chosen to fit the following specifications: 1) Vout must be between 4 and 5 volts when no load is attatched. 2) Vout cannot go down by more than 5% when a load RL is attatched. The answers may or may not involve RL.

After trying a few things that went nowhere, I finally found a way that seemed to work. I was able to find the region in the R1-R2 plane where the Vout will be between 4 and 5 (a wedge with the corner at about (258,367) and slopes 4/5 and 5/4). So any (R1,R2) in this region that satisfies the 5% requirement would be an answer. The problem is that the region which satisfied the 5% inequality was underneath a hyperbola, and it didn't always intersect the other region, depending on RL (after doing a lot of work, I'm pretty sure RL must be greater than R1, which can't be less than 258). Not only did the problem not give any restrictions on RL, but it was much more work than I thought it would be. Both of these lead me to believe I'm wrong and/or doing it a much harder way than necessary. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• circuit.bmp
    33.4 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, painfive!

I'm afraid your picture didn't make it into your last post -- would you like to try posting the picture again?

- Warren

ok, its fixed now

Last edited:
Does anyone have any ideas? I can post some more of my work if you want, but it's probably wrong anyway.

1. What is a circuit design problem?

A circuit design problem is a situation where a circuit needs to be designed to perform a specific function or task. It requires a deep understanding of electrical and electronic principles to create a circuit that will meet the desired specifications.

2. What are the main components of a circuit design?

The main components of a circuit design include power sources, resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits. These components work together to control the flow of electricity and perform various functions in a circuit.

3. How do you approach solving a circuit design problem?

The first step in solving a circuit design problem is to clearly define the specifications and requirements of the circuit. Then, research and gather information about the components and their properties. Next, use circuit analysis techniques to create a design that meets the specifications. Finally, test and refine the circuit until it performs as desired.

4. What are some common challenges in circuit design?

Some common challenges in circuit design include selecting the right components for the desired function, ensuring the circuit meets all safety and regulatory standards, and minimizing interference and noise. Troubleshooting and debugging the circuit can also be a challenging task.

5. How do you ensure the reliability of a circuit design?

To ensure the reliability of a circuit design, thorough testing and simulation are necessary. Real-world conditions should be simulated to identify any potential issues or weaknesses in the design. Additionally, using quality components and following industry standards and best practices can also help improve the reliability of a circuit design.