Circuit Simplification concept

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of a circuit from a Thevenin equivalent to a Norton equivalent and the concept of finding a partial Thevenin equivalent. The conversation also mentions the correct placement of components in a Thevenin equivalent circuit.
JieXian
Hi, I have a question relating to the image below.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/2173/elec.png/ From step 2 to 3, I get how 120V becomes 20mA but how is the 6k ohms affected? Why is it reduced to 3k ohms?

And from step 1 to step 2, why isn't it like below? Case 2b instead of 2a?

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9250/elech.png I arrived at the answer using a different technique but I would like to understand this one too.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first picture, between steps 2 and 3 the 120V source and its series 4k+2k Ohms are converted to their Norton equivalent: a 20mA source in parallel with 6k Ohms. Since all the components are in parallel, this 6k resistor can be combined with the existing 6k resistor at the left end of the circuit.

In the second drawing, the portion of the circuit for which the Thevenin equivalent is being found is the current source and everything to its right. The equivalent circuit (a voltage source in series with a 4k resistor) must be "tacked back on" at the same connection point.

Your figure 2b would put the Thevenin resistance of 4k in parallel with the voltage source. That is no what a Thevenin equivalent looks like; it must be in series.

I've never done a "partial" Thevenin or Norton (most of them are reduced to a source, an equivalent resistor and an open circuit. But now that I know that it's those 2 theorems I think I'll get it.

Thank you.

1. What is circuit simplification?

Circuit simplification is the process of reducing a complex electrical circuit into a simpler form without changing its overall functionality. This is done by removing unnecessary components and combining others in order to improve efficiency and reduce costs.

2. Why is circuit simplification important?

Circuit simplification is important because it allows for a more efficient and cost-effective design. By reducing the number of components and connections in a circuit, the risk of failures and malfunctions decreases. It also makes it easier to troubleshoot and repair the circuit if any issues do arise.

3. What techniques are used for circuit simplification?

There are several techniques used for circuit simplification, including series and parallel circuit simplification, source transformation, Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits, and Boolean algebra. These methods involve analyzing the circuit and using mathematical and logical principles to simplify it.

4. What are the benefits of circuit simplification?

Aside from increased efficiency and reduced costs, circuit simplification also allows for easier circuit design, more accurate analysis, and better understanding of the circuit's functions. It also makes it possible to easily modify and upgrade the circuit in the future if necessary.

5. When should circuit simplification be used?

Circuit simplification should be used when designing or troubleshooting any complex electrical circuit. It is especially useful in situations where space, cost, and reliability are important factors. It is also beneficial to use circuit simplification when working with digital circuits, as it allows for a clearer understanding of the logical operations involved.