1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Static Friction (inclined)

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    Hi. During the completion of a physics lab i came across a problem. The lab consisted of putting a wooden block (0.10kg) at the en of a wooded board (1.84m), then lifting the wooden block side up slowly, so that when the block began to slide, we could record the hight. The problem is finding the coefficient of static friction. The formula provided by the teacher was µs = x/y. Is this the correct formula? After trying it, the number came out to be 3 point something, much too large i supose, but when i divided the y by the x it came out to be 2.7. Am i just doing something wrong, or is the incorrect equation given? Thanks.

ms = 0.10kg
    lboard = 1.84m
    x = 1.77m
    y = 0.49m

µs = x/y ??

x was calculated, turning the given formula around gave me the supposed correct answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    It looks correct to me.
  4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    K thx, this part of my assignment relies on your judgement...
  5. Oct 11, 2008 #4
    Actually I'm sorry, I looked at the wrong equation. It should be y/x not x/y. I got .28
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?