Coefficient of Static Friction (inclined)

In summary, during a physics lab, the problem of finding the coefficient of static friction was encountered while performing an experiment involving a wooden block and a wooden board. The formula provided by the teacher was µs = x/y, but after trying it, the number came out to be too large. Upon further calculation, it was discovered that the correct formula should be y/x instead.
Gray14
Hi. During the completion of a physics lab i came across a problem. The lab consisted of putting a wooden block (0.10kg) at the en of a wooded board (1.84m), then lifting the wooden block side up slowly, so that when the block began to slide, we could record the hight. The problem is finding the coefficient of static friction. The formula provided by the teacher was µs = x/y. Is this the correct formula? After trying it, the number came out to be 3 point something, much too large i supose, but when i divided the y by the x it came out to be 2.7. Am i just doing something wrong, or is the incorrect equation given? Thanks.

ms = 0.10kg
lboard = 1.84m
x = 1.77m
y = 0.49m

µs = x/y ??

x was calculated, turning the given formula around gave me the supposed correct answer.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct to me.

K thx, this part of my assignment relies on your judgement...

Actually I'm sorry, I looked at the wrong equation. It should be y/x not x/y. I got .28

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the force required to keep an object in place on a surface without it moving. It is a dimensionless value that is specific to a particular combination of materials and surfaces.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction is calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force acting on the object. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the angle at which an object starts to slide down an inclined plane.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is influenced by the type of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pressing the surfaces together. It can also be affected by temperature and the presence of any lubricants.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient of static friction in inclined planes?

The coefficient of static friction is crucial in determining whether an object will remain stationary or start sliding down an inclined plane. If the coefficient of static friction is greater than the tangent of the angle of incline, the object will not slide. However, if it is less than the tangent, the object will start to slide.

5. Can the coefficient of static friction ever be greater than one?

No, the coefficient of static friction is always less than or equal to one. This is because the maximum force of static friction can never be greater than the normal force acting on the object. A value of one would indicate that the object is not able to move at all, which is not physically possible.