Compressive and Tensile Stresses of an 'I' Beam

In summary, a symmetric I section beam with a depth of 60 mm, second moment of area of 663x10-9 m^4, and cross sectional area of 1600 mm^2 is subject to a bending moment of 1.2 kN.m and an axial force of 25 kN (tension). Using the formula σ=My/I, the maximum tensile and compressive stresses are found to be ±54.3 MPa. The y distance, which is measured from the centroid, is needed to determine the maximum stresses. The axial force is used to compute the uniform axial stress, which is part of the stress on the I-beam. To find the stresses from each load separately, plus and

Homework Statement

A symmetric I section beam is 60 mm deep with a second moment of area of 663x10-9 m^4 and a cross sectional area of 1600 mm^2. It is subject to a bending moment of 1.2 kN.m and an axial force of 25 kN (tension). Find the maximum tensile and compressive stresses.

Homework Equations

σ=My/I

The Attempt at a Solution

So everything is given except the 'y'. I am unsure how to work this out as I am only given the depth.

Also could someone explain the relevance of the given axial force?

Physics news on Phys.org
123321 said:

Homework Statement

A symmetric I section beam is 60 mm deep with a second moment of area of 663x10-9 m^4 and a cross sectional area of 1600 mm^2. It is subject to a bending moment of 1.2 kN.m and an axial force of 25 kN (tension). Find the maximum tensile and compressive stresses.

Homework Equations

σ=My/I

The Attempt at a Solution

So everything is given except the 'y'. I am unsure how to work this out as I am only given the depth.

Also could someone explain the relevance of the given axial force?
The 'y' distance is measured from the centroid of the cross section. For what value of y is the bending stress a maximum in tension? In compression? What is the formula for axial stresses? The stresses from each are algebraically additive.

123321: y is one half of the I-beam depth. The tensile axial force is used to compute the uniform axial stress, which is part of the stress on the I-beam.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

So from you's have said, am I right to say that the y for compression is 30 mm?

How about the y for tension? Will it also be 30 mm because it is symmetrical?

I've never heard of axial stress, is it the same as torsion?

I'm so confused...

Last edited:
123321 said:
I've never heard of axial stress, is it the same as torsion?

Didn't your course deal with the axial stress in a rod? A beam can also act like a rod.

You need to find the stress from the axial load (uniform tension) and the bending stress (tension and compression) separately, then combine the two.

AlephZero said:
Didn't your course deal with the axial stress in a rod? A beam can also act like a rod.

You need to find the stress from the axial load (uniform tension) and the bending stress (tension and compression) separately, then combine the two.

Nope, never heard of it.

How do I find the two bending stresses?

Can someone help please? I've been working on this question all day and been getting nowhere...

123321: Hint 1: Try the equation listed in post 1. Hint 2: Look for a uniform axial stress equation in your textbook.

Yeah, I'm still confused about the the two y's, for compression and tension. Can anyone explain?

nvn said:
123321: Hint 1: Try the equation listed in post 1. Hint 2: Look for a uniform axial stress equation in your textbook.

I don't have a book and nothing's coming up on Google. :(

Hint 3: Regarding post 9, use plus and minus y, to obtain the two bending stresses.

nvn said:
Hint 3: Regarding post 9, use plus and minus y, to obtain the two bending stresses.

Are they both 30 mm because it is a symmetrical beam? But ones -ve and the other +ve?

Yes.

@123321,

A few tips:

1. Draw the section out, identify its Neutral Axis & Centroid. A neutral axis is the plane or axis through a section at which zero strain occurs. (At least in Euler Beam Theory, which you are dealing with at the moment.)

2. Grab a ruler or something and bend it. Note the behaviour. What happens at the top and what happens at the bottom? To make it easier for you to see it, place two dots about 2 cm apart from each other on the top and bottom. Apply the bending. What happens to the dots? This should tell you what stresses are in that portion of the "beam."

3. The symbol y in that equation (which is known as the bending equation) is a 'distance' variable. It starts at the neutral axis of the beam, where it is zero and 'travels' to where you want to investigate the stresses above or below the neutral axis.

MarleyDH said:
@123321,

A few tips:

1. Draw the section out, identify its Neutral Axis & Centroid. A neutral axis is the plane or axis through a section at which zero strain occurs. (At least in Euler Beam Theory, which you are dealing with at the moment.)

2. Grab a ruler or something and bend it. Note the behaviour. What happens at the top and what happens at the bottom? To make it easier for you to see it, place two dots about 2 cm apart from each other on the top and bottom. Apply the bending. What happens to the dots? This should tell you what stresses are in that portion of the "beam."

3. The symbol y in that equation (which is known as the bending equation) is a 'distance' variable. It starts at the neutral axis of the beam, where it is zero and 'travels' to where you want to investigate the stresses above or below the neutral axis.

That rings a bell.

Thanks

So I've found the max tensile and compressive stresses to be ±54.3 MPa

Any clues as to which one is +ve and which one is -ve?

123321 said:
So I've found the max tensile and compressive stresses to be ±54.3 MPa

Any clues as to which one is +ve and which one is -ve?

That is purely your choice, just remember which one you made positive and which one you made negative. However, by convention tensile stresses are usually taken as +ve.

Just remember stress is taken as a vector (though this is not 100% correct) and therefore it has a magnitude and direction. (σ = F/A, the bold symbols are vectors.)

MarleyDH said:
That is purely your choice, just remember which one you made positive and which one you made negative. However, by convention tensile stresses are usually taken as +ve.

Just remember stress is taken as a vector (though this is not 100% correct) and therefore it has a magnitude and direction. (σ = F/A, the bold symbols are vectors.)

OK, thanks

Do you know how I should deal with the axial force? Someone previously mentioned that I should deal with the compressive/tensile stress and axial force separately and then combine at the end. I'm confused by this suggestion.

Oh I know how to deal with it, but you need to figure that one out. ;-)

Here are a couple of questions that you should ask yourself:

Q: What types of forces do you get? (Hint: There are 3, but 2 have the word "force" attached to them where the other doesn't.)

Q: What type of stresses do these forces produce? (Hint: There are only 2 types of stresses)

Q: What are the units of stress? (Hint: What is MPa [Megapascals] in SI units? This one should answer your question on how to deal with the axial force.)

123321 said:
Someone previously mentioned that I should deal with the compressive/tensile stress and axial force separately and then combine at the end.

This is correct. Stresses are vectors and therefore vector algebra applies.

Last edited:
MarleyDH said:
Oh I know how to deal with it, but you need to figure that one out. ;-)

Here are a couple of questions that you should ask yourself:

Q: What types of forces do you get? (Hint: There are 3, but 2 have the word "force" attached to them where the other doesn't.)

Q: What type of stresses do these forces produce? (Hint: There are only 2 types of stresses)

Q: What are the units of stress? (Hint: What is MPa [Megapascals] in SI units? This one should answer your question on how to deal with the axial force.)

1. Normal force, shear force and torsion

2. Normal and shear stress

3. MPa = MN/m^2 so do I divide axial force by the cross-sectional? Then how do I combine it with the tensile/compressive stresses?

123321 said:
1. Normal force, shear force and torsion

2. Normal and shear stress

3. MPa = MN/m^2 so do I divide axial force by the cross-sectional? Then how do I combine it with the tensile/compressive stresses?

You're getting there. ;-)

1. Axial Force, Shear Force and Moment. (Torsion is a moment about the axis of a member)

2. Shear Stress yes, but normal not so much. The word is Direct Stresses.

3. Yep, but typically its represented as N/mm^2. Yes you do divide the axial force by the cross-sectional area, but you have to note what the axial force is doing. For example, is it putting the member into tension or compression?

Another point to think about with regards to the axial force is:

You're dividing the force by the ENTIRE cross-sectional area, by doing this you are implicitly assuming that the stress is uniform over the cross-section.

Whereas with the bending formula, the "y" kept changing depending upon where you wanted to investigate the stress.

If you were to draw the stress distribution for the stresses due to bending how would it look? (Hint: Plot it on a cartesian plane, with the y-axis representing the distance from the neutral axis and the x-axis representing the stress.)

From what you've said: Stress = Force/Area. Does the value of the stress depend on a distance variable? No. Therefore its uniform. If its uniform, its unchanging and that means it can only take on a rectangular shape.

So then you simply add the two diagrams together and you see what get.

Does the equation stress=N/A ring a bell? Where could it apply here?

What is the difference between compressive and tensile stresses?

Compressive stress is a type of stress that occurs when an object is being pushed or squeezed together, while tensile stress occurs when an object is being pulled or stretched apart. In other words, compressive stress causes an object to compress or become smaller, while tensile stress causes an object to elongate or become longer.

How do compressive and tensile stresses affect an 'I' beam?

Compressive and tensile stresses can both affect an 'I' beam in different ways. Compressive stress can cause the top flange of the beam to buckle or bend downwards, while tensile stress can cause the bottom flange to bend upwards. This can result in the 'I' beam losing its structural integrity and potentially failing.

What is the importance of considering compressive and tensile stresses in 'I' beam design?

Considering compressive and tensile stresses is crucial in 'I' beam design because failure to properly account for these stresses can result in structural failure and potential harm to individuals in the vicinity. It is important to ensure that the 'I' beam is able to withstand both compressive and tensile stresses to maintain its structural integrity.

How are compressive and tensile stresses calculated for an 'I' beam?

Compressive and tensile stresses are calculated by using the formula: stress = force/area. In the case of an 'I' beam, the force is the weight or load being applied to the beam, and the area is the cross-sectional area of the beam. These calculations can help determine the maximum stress that the 'I' beam can withstand before it fails.

What factors can affect the compressive and tensile stresses of an 'I' beam?

The compressive and tensile stresses of an 'I' beam can be affected by various factors, including the material of the beam, the dimensions and shape of the beam, the type and magnitude of the load being applied, and the support conditions of the beam. It is important to consider all of these factors in order to accurately determine the stresses on an 'I' beam.