1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentrations in a galvanic cell

1. Jun 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am doing an investigation on the factors that affect the voltage of a galvanic cell (or daniell cell). I have two beakers with zinc and copper strips and zinc sulphate and copper sulphate.

How would there be an electrical current produced (significantly lower however) with a 0M concentration of copper ions and a 1M concentration of Zinc ions?

I thought the copper ions attract the electrons, or is it just the copper atoms and then the copper ions pick them up?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Nernst equation.

4. Jun 14, 2009 #3
    But this equation is used to calculate the voltage in a concentration cell? The daniel cell that I am using is not a concentration cell, but two separate beakers with two different solutions?

5. Jun 14, 2009 #4

Borek

No, Nernst equation can be used to calculate voltage in any type of electrochemical cell.

6. Dec 8, 2009 #5
    If I am correct in saying the reaction quotient Q in the daniell cell is [Zn2+]/[Cu2+], Q in his case would be 1/0. So Eo - RT/zF lnQ would be Eo - Infinity? Does this mean the voltage is zero or infinitely negative?

7. Dec 8, 2009 #6

Borek

No, concentration of copper (II) is not zero. It may be very low, but once you put copper in water it immediatley reacts till the concentration is high enough so that oxidating potential of H+ from water autodissociation equals potential of Cu/Cu2+ system.

--

8. Dec 8, 2009 #7
    Makes sense; thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook