Concentrations in a galvanic cell

In summary, the conversation discusses an investigation on the factors affecting the voltage of a galvanic cell. The use of Nernst equation for calculating voltage in different types of electrochemical cells is also mentioned. The question of how a 0M concentration of copper ions and a 1M concentration of zinc ions can produce a significantly lower electrical current is raised and the concept of reaction quotient is explained. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the concentration of copper ions may be low, but it still affects the voltage of the cell.
Shaybay92

Homework Statement

I am doing an investigation on the factors that affect the voltage of a galvanic cell (or daniell cell). I have two beakers with zinc and copper strips and zinc sulphate and copper sulphate. How would there be an electrical current produced (significantly lower however) with a 0M concentration of copper ions and a 1M concentration of Zinc ions?

I thought the copper ions attract the electrons, or is it just the copper atoms and then the copper ions pick them up?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nernst equation.

But this equation is used to calculate the voltage in a concentration cell? The daniel cell that I am using is not a concentration cell, but two separate beakers with two different solutions?

No, Nernst equation can be used to calculate voltage in any type of electrochemical cell.

If I am correct in saying the reaction quotient Q in the daniell cell is [Zn2+]/[Cu2+], Q in his case would be 1/0. So Eo - RT/zF lnQ would be Eo - Infinity? Does this mean the voltage is zero or infinitely negative?

No, concentration of copper (II) is not zero. It may be very low, but once you put copper in water it immediatley reacts till the concentration is high enough so that oxidating potential of H+ from water autodissociation equals potential of Cu/Cu2+ system.

--

Makes sense; thanks.

1. What is a concentration in a galvanic cell?

A concentration in a galvanic cell refers to the amount of a substance, typically an electrolyte, present in the cell. It is measured in units of moles per liter (M) and can affect the overall performance of the cell.

2. How does concentration affect the voltage of a galvanic cell?

The concentration of ions present in a galvanic cell can impact the voltage produced by the cell. Higher concentrations of ions can increase the voltage, while lower concentrations may decrease it. This is due to the role of ions in facilitating the transfer of electrons between the anode and cathode.

3. How do I calculate the concentration of a substance in a galvanic cell?

The concentration of a substance in a galvanic cell can be calculated using the formula C=n/V, where C represents the concentration in moles per liter, n represents the number of moles of the substance, and V represents the volume of the solution in liters.

4. What is the relationship between concentration and current in a galvanic cell?

The concentration of ions in a galvanic cell can also affect the current produced by the cell. Higher concentrations can lead to a higher current, while lower concentrations may result in a lower current. This is because more ions present in the solution can facilitate a greater flow of electrons.

5. How can I change the concentration in a galvanic cell?

The concentration in a galvanic cell can be changed by adding or removing the electrolyte solution. This can be done by diluting the solution with water or adding more of the electrolyte substance. However, it is important to note that changing the concentration can also alter the voltage and current produced by the cell.