Concentric Cylinder Viscometer

• Thread starter Opus_723
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the problem involves calculating the viscosity of a fluid based on the torque needed to keep a cylinder rotating at a constant speed. The total torque is found by considering the torque at the outer edge of the cylinder and integrating the torque from the bottom of the cylinder to the radius R. However, the bottom of the cylinder does not contribute to the torque since it is not in contact with the fluid. After plugging in values, the calculated viscosity is close to, but not exactly the same as, the given value in the book.
Opus_723

Homework Statement

A viscometer consists of two concentric cylinders, 10.20cm and 10.60 cm in diameter. A liquid fills the space between them to a depth of 12.0cm. The outer cylinder is fixed, and a torque of 0.024 N*m keeps the inner cylinder turning at a steady rotational speed of 57 rev/min. What is the viscosity of the fluid?

Homework Equations

F = ηA[itex]\frac{v}{l}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The torque needed to move the cylinder at constant angular velocity must be equal to the total torque exerted by the viscosity of the fluid. Around the outer, vertical edge of the cylinder, this torque is equal to F*R = ηA[itex]\frac{v}{l}[/itex]*R.

Where R = [itex]\frac{10.20}{2}[/itex]cm, A = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]R*h (h=12cm - l), v = ωR = [itex]\frac{57*2\pi}{60}[/itex]*R and l = [itex]\frac{10.60-10.20}{2}[/itex]

So that

F*R = [itex]\frac{η(2\pi*Rh)ωR}{l}[/itex]*R = [itex]\frac{η2\pi*hωR^3}{l}[/itex]

But this doesn't account for the torque acting on the bottom of the cylinder, which varies with radius. At a distance from the center r, the torque at the bottom is equal to

F*r = [itex]\frac{ηAv}{l}[/itex]*r = [itex]\frac{η(2\pi*r*dr)ω*r}{l}[/itex]*r

So the total torque on the bottom is the sum of all torques from radius=0 to the radius R found above, or:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{R}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{η2\piωr^{3}}{l}[/itex]dr

= [itex]\frac{η\piωR^{4}}{2l}[/itex]

So the TOTAL torque on the cylinder from the viscoity of the liquid is

T = [itex]\frac{η2\pi*hωR^3}{l}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{η\piωR^{4}}{2l}[/itex]

And solving for η gives

η = [itex]\frac{2Tl}{4\pi*hωR^3 + \piωR^{4}}[/itex]Wow, that was a bunch of annoying latex. I'm sure I've got a typo or two in there somewhere, but I don't see any right now. Anyway, after plugging in value, I get an answer that's close to, but not quite what's in the book. I end up with 0.074 Pa*s and the book gives 0.079 Pa*s. I figure I'm probably making a mistake in finding the torque on the bottom of the cylinder, but I don't know what it would be.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated.

From the wording of the problem statement, I would assume that the bottom of the cylinder does not have any fluid in contact with it, and does not contribute anything towards the torque.

(If the bottom were in contact with fluid, they would have to tell us the gap between the rotating surface and the fixed surface below it, and they did not tell us this.)

What is a concentric cylinder viscometer?

A concentric cylinder viscometer is a type of viscometer used to measure the viscosity, or resistance to flow, of a fluid. It consists of two concentric cylinders, with the inner cylinder rotating and the outer cylinder remaining stationary.

How does a concentric cylinder viscometer work?

The principle behind a concentric cylinder viscometer is based on the relationship between the shear stress and shear rate of a fluid. As the inner cylinder rotates, it creates a shear stress on the fluid, causing it to flow. The shear rate, or the rate at which the fluid is sheared, is then measured and used to calculate the viscosity of the fluid.

What are the advantages of using a concentric cylinder viscometer?

One advantage of using a concentric cylinder viscometer is its ability to accurately measure the viscosity of a wide range of fluids, from low to high viscosities. It also allows for precise control of the shear rate, making it suitable for studying non-Newtonian fluids. Additionally, it is relatively easy to use and requires minimal sample preparation.

What are the limitations of concentric cylinder viscometers?

One limitation of concentric cylinder viscometers is that they are not suitable for measuring the viscosity of highly viscous or non-homogenous fluids. They are also not suitable for studying fluids with high shear rates, as this can lead to turbulence and inaccurate measurements. Additionally, they may be more expensive compared to other types of viscometers.

What are some applications of concentric cylinder viscometers?

Concentric cylinder viscometers are commonly used in industries such as food, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals to measure the viscosity of products. They are also used in scientific research to study the flow behavior of fluids and to develop new materials with specific viscosities. Additionally, they can be used in quality control processes to ensure the consistency of products.