Constant acceleration of baseball problem

In summary, the fastest measured pitched baseball was thrown at a speed of 45 m/s. Assuming constant acceleration and one-dimensional motion, the pitcher was in contact with the ball for a distance of 1.50m. From this, we can calculate that the acceleration given to the ball was approximately 671.642 m/s2 and it took about 1/15 second for the ball to be pitched. This was confirmed by the textbook and a similar question found online.
iPhotonHQ

Homework Statement

"The fastest measured pitched baseball left the pitcher's hand at the speed of 45 m/s. If the pitcher was in contact with the ball over a distance of 1.50m and produced constant acceleration, (a) what acceleration did he give the ball, and (b) how much time did it take him to pitch it?"

- I am doing this problem as part of my studying and I don't think that the textbook gives an answer to it. I am wondering if I did it correctly... Thanks!

- Assume one-dimensional motion.

Homework Equations

x is displacement (because my professor likes to use x for that).
x = ((vi + vf) / 2)t
a = (vf - vi) / t

The Attempt at a Solution

vf = 45 m/s
v0 = 0 m/s
x = 1.5m
x = (45 + 0)/2 *t
x = 22.5t
1.5 / 22.5 = t
t ≈ .067

a = 45m/s / .067s
a ≈ 671.642 m/s2

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is constant acceleration in the context of a baseball problem?

Constant acceleration in a baseball problem refers to the rate at which the baseball's velocity changes over time. This can be calculated using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. How is constant acceleration related to the motion of a baseball?

In the context of a baseball problem, constant acceleration is related to the motion of the baseball as it travels through the air. As the baseball is affected by forces such as gravity and air resistance, its velocity changes and therefore its acceleration is not constant. However, for simplified calculations, we assume a constant acceleration to make predictions about the motion of the baseball.

3. What factors can affect the constant acceleration of a baseball?

The constant acceleration of a baseball can be affected by several factors including air resistance, gravity, and the force applied to the ball by the pitcher. The shape, weight, and texture of the baseball can also impact its acceleration.

4. How is constant acceleration used to predict the trajectory of a baseball?

By using the equation for constant acceleration, we can calculate the velocity of the baseball at any given point in its trajectory. This information can then be used to predict the path or trajectory of the baseball, taking into account the effects of gravity and air resistance.

5. Can constant acceleration be applied to other objects besides a baseball?

Yes, constant acceleration can be applied to any object that is affected by forces and undergoes changes in velocity over time. This concept is commonly used in physics to study the motion of objects such as cars, projectiles, and even celestial bodies in space.