Cooling for Underwater Monitor Housing

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a monitor heating up in an underwater monitor housing made of carbon fiber and acrylic glass. The suggested solution is to use conductive cooling by attaching the hottest parts of the monitor to a copper plate that is attached to the acrylic with copper bolts. The conversation also mentions using sealing washers and avoiding stress concentration on the materials. The idea of using a vacuum pump is also brought up, but it is advised to use air instead. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with gratitude for the suggestions.
David Dincer
Hi,

I have an underwater monitor housing made out of carbon fiber and an acryllic Glass on the other side.
Over time the monitor heats up. I guess carbon fiber is a bad heat conductor :(. the Acryllic glass is almost 1cm thick. Does anybody have an advice on how to cool something like this from the inside?
Grateful for every tip or idea! Cheers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
In this kind of enclosed space, the best solution is usually conductive cooling.
Attach the hottest parts of the monitor to a copper plate that is attached to the acrylic with one or two copper bolts.
The copper bolts will pass through the crosses through the acryllic and into the water. On the water side, use another copper plate attached to those same bolts.

Likes russ_watters
.Scott said:
In this kind of enclosed space, the best solution is usually conductive cooling.
Attach the hottest parts of the monitor to a copper plate that is attached to the acrylic with one or two copper bolts.
The copper bolts will pass through the crosses through the acryllic and into the water. On the water side, use another copper plate attached to those same bolts.

Nice idea! Just to clarify: You would drill a hole through the acryllic glass for the bolts ?

David Dincer said:
Nice idea! Just to clarify: You would drill a hole through the acryllic glass for the bolts ?
Through the acrylic or through the carbon fiber. Before drilling the holes, choose your bolts - inexpensive copper bolts don't come is a great variety. Brass or bronze is not nearly as good as copper. If corrosion of the metal plate in the water is going to be an issue, you can substitute an aluminum plate.
Obviously, after drilling through the air/glass barrier, you will need to seal it. So pick flat spots in the material to drill through and use the nut/bolt combination to get a snug fit - perhaps supplemented by teflon washers.

.Scott said:
perhaps supplemented by teflon washers.
For more than moderate tightening, always use a compliant material, both sides, against hard plastic, ceramic, glass, etc., -- anything that fractures. (I'm not familiar with the characteristics of Carbon fiber so can't make any definite statement there; but it won't hurt.) Use sealing washers (metal washer with a layer of rubber bonded to one side), O-rings, any soft polymer (Teflon, rubber, Nylon, etc.). The object is to avoid any localized stress concentration on the fracturable material. If you are going for full immersion in water, remember that threaded fasteners leak fluids down the threads so you will need to seal any exposed threads. Silicone rubber comes to mind for light-duty use but it is slightly porous, and, since it releases Acetic Acid during curing, it reacts with some metals, i.e. Aluminium.

p.s. When correctly sized, sealing washers have a tight fit between the rubber and the threaded fastener. When the joint is tightened, the rubber is forced into the threads giving a moderately decent seal. There are also nuts with an O-ring embedded in one surface. They are not commonly available and don't seal the threads.

I also shouldn't use my vacuum pump I guess. Air is a good heat conductor right? Vacuum not. Just a little low pressure to keep the seals tight.

Thanks so much guys!

David Dincer said:
I also shouldn't use my vacuum pump I guess. Air is a good heat conductor right? Vacuum not. Just a little low pressure to keep the seals tight.

Thanks so much guys!
Air is better than a vacuum, but you should be able to get the copper path to work with a vacuum as well.

1. How does cooling for underwater monitor housing work?

Cooling for underwater monitor housing typically involves the use of a cooling system, such as a water or air-cooled heat exchanger, to dissipate heat generated by the electronic components within the housing. This prevents the monitor from overheating and potentially malfunctioning due to the high temperatures and pressures of the underwater environment.

2. What are the benefits of cooling for underwater monitor housing?

The main benefit of cooling for underwater monitor housing is to prevent overheating and potential damage to the electronic components. It also allows for longer periods of use without needing to cool down, which can be crucial for underwater research or monitoring activities.

3. Are there different types of cooling systems for underwater monitor housing?

Yes, there are various types of cooling systems that can be used for underwater monitor housing. Some common ones include liquid cooling systems, air cooling systems, and thermoelectric cooling systems. The specific type used will depend on the specific requirements and conditions of the underwater environment.

4. Can cooling for underwater monitor housing be customized?

Yes, cooling for underwater monitor housing can be customized to fit the specific needs and specifications of the user. This may include the type of cooling system, the size and design of the housing, and any additional features or requirements.

5. Is cooling for underwater monitor housing necessary for all types of underwater activities?

Not necessarily. While cooling is important for most underwater activities, the need for it may vary depending on the depth, temperature, and duration of the activity. For shallow dives or shorter monitoring periods, a cooling system may not be necessary. However, for deep dives or extended periods of use, cooling is highly recommended to ensure the proper functioning of the monitor.