Calculating Charges of Identical Tiny Conducting Spheres

In summary, two identical conducting spheres, one with positive charge qA and one with negative charge qB, are initially placed 0.404 m apart and attract each other with a force of 0.748 N. After being brought together and then separated again to a distance of 0.404 m, the spheres are now both positive and repel each other with a force of 0.59 N. Using the equation F=k q1q2/r^2 and the fact that charge is conserved, the original charge on each sphere can be found by solving for qA and qB.
fresheze13

Homework Statement

You have two identical tiny conducting spheres: sphere A carries positive charge qA, and sphere B carries negative charge qB. First the spheres are placed distance d = 0.404 m apart, and they attract each other with a force F1 = 0.748 N. Then the spheres are brought together, touch each other, and are brought back to distance 0.404 m apart. Now the spheres are both positive, and they repel each other with force F2 = 0.59 N. Find the original charge on each sphere.

Homework Equations

F=k q1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

after the spheres touch i get qf=(q1+q2)/2
and i solve for the charge on the spheres after they touch and get .1035uC as my answer but I am not sure how to find original charge after that my proffesor never did an example like this any help is welcome and appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

Charge is conserved. Make use of that along with F1.
Besides, this belongs in the introductory physics section.

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the charge on an identical tiny conducting sphere?

The charge on an identical tiny conducting sphere can be calculated using the formula: Q = k * Q0 / r, where Q is the charge on the sphere, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 * 10^9 N * m^2 / C^2), Q0 is the charge on a single sphere, and r is the distance between the spheres.

2. What is the significance of identical tiny conducting spheres in charge calculations?

Identical tiny conducting spheres are used in charge calculations because they allow for easier calculations and provide a simplified model for understanding electrostatic forces. In real-world scenarios, the charges may not be evenly distributed or the spheres may not be identical, but using identical spheres allows for easier mathematical calculations.

3. How does the distance between identical tiny conducting spheres affect the charge calculation?

The distance between identical tiny conducting spheres has a direct effect on the charge calculation. As the distance between the spheres increases, the charge on each sphere decreases according to the inverse square law. This means that the farther apart the spheres are, the weaker the electrostatic force between them will be and the smaller the charge on each sphere will be.

4. Can identical tiny conducting spheres have both positive and negative charges?

Yes, identical tiny conducting spheres can have both positive and negative charges. This is because the charge on a sphere is determined by the charge of the object it is in contact with. If the object has a positive charge, the sphere will have a positive charge, and if the object has a negative charge, the sphere will have a negative charge.

5. How can I determine the charge on each sphere if the number of spheres is not given?

If the number of spheres is not given, the charge on each sphere can be determined by dividing the total charge by the number of spheres. For example, if there is a total charge of 10 C and there are 5 identical spheres, each sphere will have a charge of 2 C (10 C / 5 spheres = 2 C per sphere).