Crabsteering: Find Reference Material & Design Parameters

In summary, crab steering is 4 wheel steering that can rotate about it's yaw axis. It's available on GM's new JEEP and was discontinued on their full size pickups. Rear steer was done on Honda's vehicles in the late 80s/early 90s. While it may have benefits, the cost doesn't seem worthwhile at this time.
sree
hi,

can anybody give me any reference material on crabsteering? and the major design parameters involved?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I see that nobody has responded to this yet. The reason that I haven't is that I have no idea what you're talking about. Crab steering? I've never heard the term. Do you mean 4-wheel steering?

Crab steering is 4 wheel steering. Front wheels turn left back wheels turn right and the vehicle will go in circles. Front wheels turn left and back wheels turn left and the vehicle moves as if it were in a constant lane change. Not sure if one is more correctly considered 'crab' than the other.

Articulate steering is NOT the same thing. Articulate is where wheels/axles stay straight and the whole vehicle hinges in the center. The effect is the same as front turning left and rear turning right.

Thanks, Average. I'm somewhat familiar with both types, but have never heard the 4-wheel one called that. It's a good name for it, though. While I don't know enough about it to help sree, I'm a fan of it. One brand of pick-up truck sold here (Chev, I think) had a limited version of it as an option. You could park the sucker easier than a Volkswagon, and it made trailering a lot easier.

hi,

well i am interrested in the second type where the vehicle can move parallel to the road.can anyone provide me any additional info

GM's new JEEP has got the first type of steering.all the four wheels can be turned independently.it can rotate about its yaw axis too.

Last I heard the GM vehicle would turn the fronts and the backs the same way above a certain speed. Obviously for lane changes. Possible also selectable at least in reverse. A website somewhere could probably tell you. I'm too lazy to check.

It's called the Hurricane. Each set of wheels has it's own engine. There's an article on it here

http://trucks.about.com/od/conceptcars/a/hurricane.htm" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
GM had Quadrasteer on their full size pickups where the rear wheels would steer (discontinued now).

Honda did rear steer in the late 80s/early 90s too, again discontinued.

While it may have benefits, the cost doesn't seem worthwhile to the consumers...

1. How does crabsteering work?

Crabsteering is a steering mechanism used in vehicles that allows them to move sideways or at an angle. It works by adjusting the angle of the wheels on one side of the vehicle while keeping the wheels on the other side straight, causing the vehicle to move in a diagonal direction.

2. What are the benefits of crabsteering?

One of the main benefits of crabsteering is its ability to maneuver in tight spaces or narrow roads. It also allows for easier parking and better control on uneven terrain. In certain situations, crabsteering can also improve stability and reduce tire wear.

3. What are the design parameters for crabsteering?

The design parameters for crabsteering include the angle of the wheels, the distance between the wheels, and the steering mechanism used. Other factors to consider include the weight and size of the vehicle, as well as the intended use and terrain conditions.

4. Are there any reference materials available for crabsteering?

Yes, there are various reference materials available for crabsteering, including research papers, articles, and engineering textbooks. These materials can provide information on the history of crabsteering, its applications, and design considerations.

5. What are some common challenges in implementing crabsteering?

One of the main challenges in implementing crabsteering is ensuring proper coordination and synchronization between the wheels on each side of the vehicle. This requires precise control and can be more complex in larger vehicles. Additionally, certain terrain conditions, such as steep slopes or soft ground, may pose challenges for crabsteering.