Calculating Electron Energy from Potential Difference

In summary, an electron acquires 1 electron volt of energy when accelerated through a potential difference of 1 volt. Therefore, when accelerated through a potential difference of 1.5 MV, it acquires 1.5 MeV of energy. This is based on the definition of the electron volt.
soso
Currents-- Please Help

An electron is accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 1.5Mv. what is the final energy of teh electron.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.5 MeV.

- Warren

Confused

Sorry.. i do not understand the answer... can u please provide more detail.. sorry for the inconvenience... thank you.

Look up the definition of the unit of energy called an "electron volt."

- Warren

Joules

I think the anser has to be with the units Jouls and using the formula w=v*Q

?

I understand the concept of the electron volt.. but why is the answer 1.5 Mev.

The energy acquired by an electron when accelerated through a potential difference of 1 volt is 1 electron volt. The energy acquired by an electron when accelerated through a potential difference of 1.5 MV is 1.5 MeV.

- Warren

Thank you, Warren.

Warren- thank you so much for your help.. ur a life saver.. i really appreciate it.. take care.

Originally posted by soso
Warren- thank you so much for your help.. ur a life saver.. i really appreciate it.. take care.
Does the answer make complete sense? I want to make sure you understand how what I just said comes directly from the definition of the eV.

- Warren

1. How is potential difference related to electron energy?

The potential difference, also known as voltage, is directly proportional to the electron energy. This means that as the potential difference increases, so does the electron energy, and vice versa.

2. What is the equation for calculating electron energy from potential difference?

The equation is E = qV, where E is the electron energy in joules (J), q is the charge of the electron in coulombs (C), and V is the potential difference in volts (V).

3. How do you convert potential difference from volts to joules?

To convert from volts to joules, you simply multiply the potential difference by the charge of the electron. The resulting unit will be in joules.

4. Can potential difference have a negative value?

Yes, potential difference can have a negative value. This indicates that the electrons are moving in the opposite direction of the electric field, and their energy is decreasing.

5. How does the potential difference affect the movement of electrons?

The potential difference creates an electric field that exerts a force on the electrons, causing them to move. The greater the potential difference, the stronger the electric field, and the faster the electrons will move.