Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Currents- Please Help

1. Jan 14, 2004 #1
    Currents-- Please Help

An electron is accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 1.5Mv. what is the final energy of teh electron.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1.5 MeV.

- Warren

4. Jan 14, 2004 #3
    Confused

Sorry.. i do not understand the answer... can u please provide more detail.. sorry for the inconvenience... thank you.

5. Jan 14, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look up the definition of the unit of energy called an "electron volt."

- Warren

6. Jan 14, 2004 #5
    Joules

I think the anser has to be with the units Jouls and using the formula w=v*Q

7. Jan 14, 2004 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jan 14, 2004 #7
    ???

I understand the concept of the electron volt.. but why is the answer 1.5 Mev.

9. Jan 14, 2004 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The energy acquired by an electron when accelerated through a potential difference of 1 volt is 1 electron volt. The energy acquired by an electron when accelerated through a potential difference of 1.5 MV is 1.5 MeV.

- Warren

10. Jan 14, 2004 #9
    Thank you, Warren.

Warren- thank you so much for your help.. ur a life saver.. i really appreciate it.. take care.

11. Jan 14, 2004 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Thank you, Warren.

Does the answer make complete sense? I want to make sure you understand how what I just said comes directly from the definition of the eV.

- Warren

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook