What are the basic terms in semiconductor physics and how are they defined?

In summary, the Fermi level is the highest occupied orbital in a crystal structure, with a probability distribution for possible electronic states. The density of states diagram is analogous to a molecular orbital diagram and shows the number of occupied and unoccupied states. Charge neutrality refers to the balance of positive and negative charges, while the mass action law shows that the concentration of carriers is constant. Carrier density is the number of mobile electrons that can carry an electric current, dependent on the density of states and probability of finding an electron or hole there.
wwonderboy
hey guys i want to know the definition of these terms & what are they but please i don't want big words because i won't understand i want to understand it simply:
1-Fermi level
2-Density of states
3-Carrier concentration & the graphs (in the attachment)
4-Mass action law
5-Charge neutrality
i attached some files because i don't understand what it is saying

Attachments

• Carrier concentration.jpg
    Carrier concentration.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 393
  • charge neutrality.jpg
    charge neutrality.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 406
  • mass action law.jpg
    mass action law.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any chemistry background? Because the easiest way to think of the Fermi level is as your highest occupied orbital. The major difference is that in a crystal structure, your discrete atomic or molecular orbitals blend together into bands of energy levels (so it isn't a Highest Occupied Molecular Orbital, it is instead called the Fermi level). Your density of states diagram is then analogous to a molecular orbital diagram. The big difference is that you once again don't have discrete energy levels, you now have a probability distribution for possible electronic states.

Fermi level: At zero temperature everything below is occupied, everything above is empty. At finite temperature things get smeared out a but, according to Fermi-Dirac statistics.

Density of states: How many electrons can you fit at this energy? There can be occupied and unoccupied DoS, so you have to be a bit careful sometimes.

Charge neutrality: Just what is says. Number of positive charges (holes and donors) = number of negative charges (electrons and acceptors)

Mass action law: Read the equation. Concentration of holes times concentration of electrons is a constant.

Carrier density: Number of mobile electrons that can carry an electric current. Depends on the DoS and the probability to find an electron or hole there (Fermi-Dirac statistics)

Related to What are the basic terms in semiconductor physics and how are they defined?

1. What is the definition of a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon or a prediction about the relationship between variables. It is a tentative statement that can be tested through further research.

2. How is a theory different from a hypothesis?

A theory is a well-established and widely accepted explanation for a phenomenon that has been extensively tested and supported by evidence. It goes beyond a hypothesis, which is a tentative explanation that has not been fully confirmed.

3. What is the definition of a control group?

A control group is a group of participants in an experiment that does not receive the experimental treatment. It is used for comparison with the experimental group to determine the effect of the treatment.

4. What is the difference between validity and reliability?

Validity refers to the accuracy and truthfulness of a measurement or research study. It is the extent to which the study measures what it is intended to measure. Reliability, on the other hand, refers to the consistency and stability of a measurement or research results. It is the extent to which the study produces consistent results when repeated.

5. What is the definition of a sample in research?

A sample is a group of individuals or objects that are selected from a larger population to represent the population in a research study. The sample should be representative of the population in order for the study results to be generalized to the larger population.