Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio: Find the Answer

Do you have any questions about the correct method?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio of the mass of two cylinders, C1 and C2, with different densities and dimensions. The correct method is to use the formula for volume of a cylinder and the equation for density to calculate the masses, and then divide to find the ratio. The final answer is 3/32.
student 1

Homework Statement

A cylinder C1 has density D1, and C2 has density 2D1. The height of C1 is 3 times as large as height of C2, and the radius of C2 is 4 times as large as the radius of C1. Find the ratio of the mass of C1 to C2.

Homework Equations

Density=Mass/Volume
Volume of Cylinder=(pi) R^2(L)

The Attempt at a Solution

Volume of C1=(pi)R^2(3H)
Volume of C2=(pi)(4R)^2(H)

Mass of 1= D1(pi)(R)^2(3H)
Mass of 2=2D1(pi)(4R)^2(H)

SO mass of C1 to C2 would be {D1(pi)(R)^2(3H)}/{2D1(pi)(4R)^2(H)}

Answer I came up with was 3/32. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi student_1,

Your method looks right to me. Is there something about it that doesn't seem right to you?

I got an answer totally different the first time just seeing if i was doing it right. I believe I had the wrong method at first though.

Right.

Related to Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio: Find the Answer

1. What is the "Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio" and why is it important?

The "Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio" refers to the ratio of the mass of carbon-1 (C1) to the mass of carbon-2 (C2) in a substance. This ratio is important because it can provide valuable information about the composition and structure of the substance, as well as its potential uses and properties.

2. How is the "Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio" calculated?

The "Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio" can be calculated by dividing the mass of carbon-1 in the substance by the mass of carbon-2. This can be done using various methods such as mass spectrometry or elemental analysis.

3. What factors can affect the "Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio" in a substance?

The "Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio" can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of molecule or compound being analyzed, the purity of the substance, and any impurities or contaminants present. Additionally, the method used to determine the ratio can also impact the results.

4. How can the "Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio" be used in scientific research?

The "Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio" can be used in a variety of ways in scientific research. For example, it can help identify unknown substances, determine the structure and composition of molecules, and track changes in a substance over time. It can also provide insights into the properties and potential uses of a substance.

5. Are there any limitations to using the "Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio" in scientific analysis?

While the "Mass of C1 to C2 Ratio" can be a useful tool in scientific analysis, there are some limitations to consider. For example, it may not be as accurate for complex molecules or mixtures of substances. Additionally, it is important to use proper techniques and equipment to ensure reliable and precise results.