Derivatives of coordinate equations

In summary: Try it and see what you get. Keep up the great work!ChetVery, very, very nicely done. Now, if \vec{a_t} = a_t*\vec{i_t}, and you know the overall acceleration vector, then the normal component of the acceleration vector must be whatever is left... Try it and see what you get. Keep up the great work!ChetChetThank you! So \vec{a_n}=\vec{a} - \vec{a_t} = 4\vec{i_y} - \frac{12+16t}{\sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}}\vec{i_t} = 4
Rugile

Homework Statement

We have two coordinate functions of time, as follows: x(t) = 5 + 2t ; y(t) = -3+3t+2t2. Find velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], acceleration [itex]\vec{a}[/itex], tangential acceleration [itex]\vec{a_t}[/itex], normal acceleration [itex]\vec{a_n}[/itex] functions of time and their magnitude's functions of time.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = v[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dv}{dt} = a[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I guess [itex]v_x = \frac{dx(t)}{dt} = 2[/itex] and [itex]v_y = \frac{dy(t)}{dt} = 3+4t[/itex]. And so [itex]\vec{v_x} = 2\vec{i_y}[/itex]; [itex]\vec{v_y} = (3+4t)\vec{i_y}[/itex]. I guess that [itex]v = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2} = \sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}[/itex]. But then how do you find the vector of v? And also, am I right saying that at is derivative of vx and an is derivative of vy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rugile said:

Homework Statement

We have two coordinate functions of time, as follows: x(t) = 5 + 2t ; y(t) = -3+3t+2t2. Find velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], acceleration [itex]\vec{a}[/itex], tangential acceleration [itex]\vec{a_t}[/itex], normal acceleration [itex]\vec{a_n}[/itex] functions of time and their magnitude's functions of time.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = v[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dv}{dt} = a[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I guess [itex]v_x = \frac{dx(t)}{dt} = 2[/itex] and [itex]v_y = \frac{dy(t)}{dt} = 3+4t[/itex]. And so [itex]\vec{v_x} = 2\vec{i_y}[/itex]; [itex]\vec{v_y} = (3+4t)\vec{i_y}[/itex]. I guess that [itex]v = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2} = \sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}[/itex]. But then how do you find the vector of v? And also, am I right saying that at is derivative of vx and an is derivative of vy?
The velocity vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is just the sum of the x and y vectorial components. Incidentally, your equation [itex]\vec{v_x} = 2\vec{i_y}[/itex] has a typo. It should read [itex]\vec{v_x} = 2\vec{i_x}[/itex]. The acceleration vector is just [itex]\vec{a}=\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/itex]. Just take the time derivative of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. The tangential acceleration is just the component of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] in the same direction as the velocity vector. The normal acceleration is the component of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] in the direction perpendicular to the velocity vector. Do you know how to determine the component of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] in the same direction as the velocity vector? Hint: You might start out by finding the equation for a unit vector in the same direction as the velocity vector.

Chet

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The velocity vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is just the sum of the x and y vectorial components. Incidentally, your equation [itex]\vec{v_x} = 2\vec{i_y}[/itex] has a typo. It should read [itex]\vec{v_x} = 2\vec{i_x}[/itex]. The acceleration vector is just [itex]\vec{a}=\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/itex]. Just take the time derivative of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. The tangential acceleration is just the component of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] in the same direction as the velocity vector. The normal acceleration is the component of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] in the direction perpendicular to the velocity vector. Do you know how to determine the component of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] in the same direction as the velocity vector? Hint: You might start out by finding the equation for a unit vector in the same direction as the velocity vector.

Chet

Chet

So [itex] \vec{v} = \vec{v_x}+\vec{v_y} = 2\vec{i_x}+(3+4t)\vec{i_y}[/itex], and then [itex] \vec{a} = \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} = 4\vec{i_y}[/itex]? Am I right? And how do I derive the magnitude of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex]? Is this equation [itex]a=\sqrt{(\frac{dv_x}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dv_y}{dt})^2}[/itex] correct (from such calculations I get a = 4)?
Now for the unit vector of in the same direction as velocity vector, I guess the equation looks something like this: [itex]\vec{i_t} = \frac{\vec{v}}{v} = \frac{2\vec{i_x}+(3+4t)\vec{i_y}}{\sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}}[/itex]. Is it correct to state that [itex]\vec{a_t} = a * \vec{i_t}[/itex] then?

Rugile said:
So [itex] \vec{v} = \vec{v_x}+\vec{v_y} = 2\vec{i_x}+(3+4t)\vec{i_y}[/itex], and then [itex] \vec{a} = \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} = 4\vec{i_y}[/itex]? Am I right? And how do I derive the magnitude of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex]? Is this equation [itex]a=\sqrt{(\frac{dv_x}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dv_y}{dt})^2}[/itex] correct (from such calculations I get a = 4)

Yes.
Now for the unit vector of in the same direction as velocity vector, I guess the equation looks something like this: [itex]\vec{i_t} = \frac{\vec{v}}{v} = \frac{2\vec{i_x}+(3+4t)\vec{i_y}}{\sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}}[/itex]. Is it correct to state that [itex]\vec{a_t} = a * \vec{i_t}[/itex] then?
Yes. This is the correct result for the unit vector. To get the tangent component of the acceleration, you need to take the dot product of the acceleration vector with the unit vector in the direction of the velocity. Once you do this, can you think of how to get the normal component of the acceleration?

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Yes. This is the correct result for the unit vector. To get the tangent component of the acceleration, you need to take the dot product of the acceleration vector with the unit vector in the direction of the velocity. Once you do this, can you think of how to get the normal component of the acceleration?

So [itex]a_t = \vec{a} * \vec{i_t} = a_y i_{ty} + a_x i_{tx} = 4*\frac{3+4t}{\sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}} + 0*\frac{2}{\sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}} = \frac{12+16t}{\sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}}[/itex]? And it seems to me that [itex]a=\sqrt{a_t^2+a_n^2}[/itex] and so [itex]a_n=\sqrt{a^2-a_t^2}=\sqrt{16-(\frac{12+16t}{\sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}})^2} =\sqrt{\frac{64}{13+24t+16t^2}}[/itex]. And probably [itex]\vec{a_t} = a_t*\vec{i_t}[/itex]? But how do I find unit vector perpendicular to velocity vector?

Rugile said:
So [itex]a_t = \vec{a} * \vec{i_t} = a_y i_{ty} + a_x i_{tx} = 4*\frac{3+4t}{\sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}} + 0*\frac{2}{\sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}} = \frac{12+16t}{\sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}}[/itex]? And it seems to me that [itex]a=\sqrt{a_t^2+a_n^2}[/itex] and so [itex]a_n=\sqrt{a^2-a_t^2}=\sqrt{16-(\frac{12+16t}{\sqrt{13+24t+16t^2}})^2} =\sqrt{\frac{64}{13+24t+16t^2}}[/itex]. And probably [itex]\vec{a_t} = a_t*\vec{i_t}[/itex]? But how do I find unit vector perpendicular to velocity vector?

Very, very, very nicely done. Now, if [itex]\vec{a_t} = a_t*\vec{i_t}[/itex], and you know the overall acceleration vector, then the normal component of the acceleration vector must be whatever is left over.

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Very, very, very nicely done. Now, if [itex]\vec{a_t} = a_t*\vec{i_t}[/itex], and you know the overall acceleration vector, then the normal component of the acceleration vector must be whatever is left over.

Oh, that's right :) thank you for the big help, now all seems not so complicated afterall!

1. What are derivatives of coordinate equations?

Derivatives of coordinate equations refer to the rate of change of a coordinate equation with respect to one of its variables. It measures how much the output of the equation changes when the input variable is changed.

2. Why are derivatives of coordinate equations important?

Derivatives of coordinate equations are important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate rates of change, find maximum and minimum values, and model real-world situations.

3. How do you find the derivative of a coordinate equation?

The derivative of a coordinate equation can be found by using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function with respect to its variable.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative is the derivative of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, is the derivative of a function with respect to all of its variables at once.

5. Can derivatives of coordinate equations be used to find the slope of a curve?

Yes, the derivative of a coordinate equation at a specific point represents the slope of the curve at that point. This is because the derivative measures the rate of change of the equation, which is equivalent to the slope of the curve.