Derivatives of Lagrangian Terms: Why We Lower?

In summary, derivatives of Lagrangian terms are important mathematical expressions used in physics and engineering to describe the dynamics of a system. We take derivatives of these terms to calculate forces and determine equations of motion. Lowering the Lagrangian involves taking the derivative with respect to the system's velocity, which allows for easier analysis and problem solving. This process, known as the Euler-Lagrange equation, has many applications in mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum field theory, and control systems.
TroyElliott
In Lagrangians we often take derivatives (##\frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\phi)}##) of terms like ##(\partial_{\nu}\phi \partial^{\nu}\phi)##. We lower the ##\partial^{\nu}## term with the metric and do the usual product rule. My question is why do we do this? Isn't ##\partial^{\nu}\phi## an element of a different vector space? I would think that ##\frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\phi)}## is really just shorthand for a tensor product of operators, with one being an identity operator in the ##\partial^{\nu}## space. Can anyone explain why this isn't the correct way of looking at doing such a derivative? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your Lagrangian also contains implicitly a metric, which is a mapping between vector spaces and dual spaces. Write it out in full and use the chain rule :)

I don't get your "I would think"-remark, though.

Mmm, perhaps I didn't get your question.

It is not a question of what vector spaces things belong to. It is a question about what things you can vary independently. Due to ##\partial^\mu\phi## being directly related to ##\partial_\mu\phi## through the metric, they do not vary independently (and neither does ##\phi##, that is why you have a term ##\partial/\partial\phi##.

Now, you could consider the Lagrangian as a function of ##\partial^\mu\phi## and ##\partial_\mu\phi## and obtain an extra derivative in your EL equations. The end result would be the same anyway so it is typically simpler to lower (or raise) all indices and work from there.

haushofer said:
Well, your Lagrangian also contains implicitly a metric, which is a mapping between vector spaces and dual spaces. Write it out in full and use the chain rule :)

I don't get your "I would think"-remark, though.

I was trying to say that if ##\partial_{\nu}\phi## is in some vector space and ##\partial^{\nu}\phi## is located in a different vector space, both connected through a linear map ##g^{\mu \nu}##, I would think that we would have to explicitly choose the vector space that our operator ##\partial_{\nu}## is acting on i.e. either the original vector space or the dual space.

##\partial_{\nu} \phi## and ##\partial^{\nu} \phi## are not in a vector space, they are components of vectors (or more precisely vector fields).

Likes TroyElliott
Also, the partial derivatives do not act on vector fields. You generally need a connection for that.

Regardless, I think the issue has been properly addressed by the first few posts.

TroyElliott said:
I was trying to say that if ##\partial_{\nu}\phi## is in some vector space and ##\partial^{\nu}\phi## is located in a different vector space, both connected through a linear map ##g^{\mu \nu}##, I would think that we would have to explicitly choose the vector space that our operator ##\partial_{\nu}## is acting on i.e. either the original vector space or the dual space.
See #4. It does not matter if you pick one or use both as long as you do your variation properly.

Likes TroyElliott

1. What are derivatives of Lagrangian terms?

Derivatives of Lagrangian terms refer to the mathematical process of finding the rate of change of a Lagrangian function with respect to its variables. This allows us to analyze the behavior of a system described by the Lagrangian and make predictions about its future state.

2. Why do we lower derivatives of Lagrangian terms?

We lower derivatives of Lagrangian terms in order to find the minimum or maximum value of the Lagrangian function. This is known as the principle of least action and is used to determine the equations of motion for a physical system.

3. What is the significance of lowering derivatives of Lagrangian terms in physics?

The process of lowering derivatives of Lagrangian terms is essential in physics because it allows us to derive the equations of motion for a system. These equations can then be used to predict the behavior of the system and make accurate calculations.

4. What are some applications of lowering derivatives of Lagrangian terms?

The principle of least action, which involves lowering derivatives of Lagrangian terms, has many applications in physics. It is used to derive the equations of motion in classical mechanics, as well as in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. It is also used in the field of control theory to optimize the behavior of systems.

5. Is there a specific method for lowering derivatives of Lagrangian terms?

Yes, there are various methods for lowering derivatives of Lagrangian terms, such as the Euler-Lagrange equation, Hamilton's equations, and the principle of least action. These methods all involve different mathematical techniques, but ultimately lead to the same result of finding the equations of motion for a system.