Detecting Mass Changes with a Hydraulic Balance

In summary, the conversation discusses a hydraulic balance used to detect small changes in mass, shown in Fig. 9.31. They question the accuracy of the diagram and discuss the practicality of the device. They also mention an amplification effect that is obtained from the ratio of the two cylinder diameters, and how the answer can be calculated using the delta-weight formula. The conversation ends with a mention of the need for the density of water in the calculation.
tacoman326
A hydraulic balance used to detect small changes in mass is shown in Fig. 9.31. If a mass m of 0.40 g is placed on the balance platform, by how much will the height of the water in the smaller, 1.0 cm diameter cylinder have changed when the balance comes to equilibrium?
9-31.gif

please give a detailed explanation. thanks I now know the answer for the question is (4.21 mm)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you certain you have the problem correct?

The balance is simply balancing the weight of the water against the weight of the mass m.
If they are not equal there will be no equilibrium assuming no friction and it is on a planet.

Odd that your diagram indicate the outside diameters of the cylinders, rather than the inside diameters.

alwynj said:
Are you certain you have the problem correct?

The balance is simply balancing the weight of the water against the weight of the mass m.
If they are not equal there will be no equilibrium assuming no friction and it is on a planet.

Phrak said:
Odd that your diagram indicate the outside diameters of the cylinders, rather than the inside diameters.

I think the diagram is very simplified. I think you can presume the frame in which the water is being held is fixed relative to the pivot. And that the dimensions are from the inside of the container. There are other problems I could point out if I was being pedantic, but just presume it is simplified.

Am I right?

I don't know how to answer this question tbh, but I am interested in the answer.

Georgepowell said:
I think the diagram is very simplified. I think you can presume the frame in which the water is being held is fixed relative to the pivot. And that the dimensions are from the inside of the container. There are other problems I could point out if I was being pedantic, but just presume it is simplified.

Am I right?

Sounds right to me.

I don't know how to answer this question tbh, but I am interested in the answer.

On second glance, it's actually a clever device. Whether it's practicle or not would depend upon how much friction there would be between cylinder and piston.

As to the answer, notice that an amplification effect is obtained from the ratio of the two cylinder diameters. If the piston is moved 5 cm, the overall height of the column of water changes about 1 cm, as it is squeezed into the upper cylinder.

Given a balance with two equal arms, the delta-weight (in grams) is equal to the change in height of the water column times the piston area.

The answer will be the displacement of the cylinder plus the change in height of the water column; about 6 cm per gm, I think.

Last edited:
Given a balance with two equal arms, the delta-weight (in grams) is equal to the change in height of the water column times the piston area.

I think we'll need the density of water in there too.

DeltaHeight x WaterDensity x PistonArea = DeltaWeight

Related to Detecting Mass Changes with a Hydraulic Balance

1. How does a hydraulic balance detect mass changes?

A hydraulic balance detects mass changes by using a hydraulic system to measure the change in pressure caused by the addition or removal of mass on one side of the balance. The pressure change is then converted into an electrical signal, which can be displayed and recorded.

2. What is the accuracy of a hydraulic balance in detecting mass changes?

The accuracy of a hydraulic balance in detecting mass changes depends on various factors, such as the quality of the hydraulic system and the sensitivity of the pressure sensors. Generally, hydraulic balances have a high accuracy, with some models capable of detecting changes as small as 0.1 milligram.

3. Can a hydraulic balance be used for both small and large mass changes?

Yes, a hydraulic balance can be used for both small and large mass changes. The sensitivity and range of the balance can be adjusted to accommodate different mass changes. However, for very large mass changes, a different type of balance may be more suitable.

4. What are the advantages of using a hydraulic balance for mass measurements?

One of the main advantages of using a hydraulic balance for mass measurements is its high accuracy. Hydraulic balances are also very precise and can measure mass changes in both directions (addition and removal of mass). Additionally, they are not affected by external factors such as air currents or vibrations.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a hydraulic balance?

One limitation of using a hydraulic balance is that it requires a stable and consistent water supply for the hydraulic system to function properly. Additionally, the balance may need to be calibrated frequently to ensure accurate measurements. It may also be more expensive compared to other types of balances.