Determine the particle's equation of motion

In summary: Thank you!!In summary, the conversation discusses a particle with a mass of 0.500 kg attached to a spring with a force constant of 50.0 N/m. The particle's equation of motion is determined, and the potential energy is found to be three times the kinetic energy at a specific point in the motion. The length of a simple pendulum with the same period is also calculated. The conversation then moves on to finding the minimum time interval required for the particle to move from x = 0 to x = 1.00 m, and the correct equation for the particle's motion is derived by adjusting the phase factor. The conversation ends with a discussion on finding the time when x = 0, which involves understanding that
Sheneron

Homework Statement

A particle with a mass of 0.500 kg is attatched to a spring with a force constant of 50.0 N/m. At time t = 0 the particle has its maximum speed of 20.0 m/s and is moving to the left. (Use t as necessary.)
(a) Determine the particle's equation of motion, specifying its position as a function of t, time.
(b) Where in the motion is the potential energy three times the kinetic energy?
(c) Find the length of a simple pendulum with the same period.
(d) Find the minimum time interval required for the particle to move from x = 0 to x = 1.00 m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I only need help with the first part for now, but here is what I tried.

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]
[tex]\omega = 10[/tex]

[tex]v_{max} = A\omega[/tex]
[tex]A = 2[/tex]
So my equation of motion looked like this.
[tex]x(t) = 2cos(10t)[/tex]

but that was wrong and I am not entirely sure why

Physics news on Phys.org
You are off by a phase factor. Note that at t = 0 the particle is at max speed--so what's its position with respect to equilibrium?

It's position, with respect to equilibrium, would be 0, which means the phase factor needs to be pi?

Sheneron said:
It's position, with respect to equilibrium, would be 0,
Right.
which means the phase factor needs to be pi?
Write the general expression and see if that works.

Ok that worked and I am on part D) now.

x(t)= 2sin(10t + pi)

I set x to 1 and solved for t but that didn't work. Can you not do that?

That should work fine. What did you get? (Remember that you're working in radians.)

[tex]\frac{sin^{-1}(.5)-\pi}{10}[/tex]

that gives me a negative .261

perhaps I am not doing my algebra right?

Two things you need to do:
(1) Choose a value of [itex]sin^{-1}(.5)[/itex] that gives you a positive time.
(2) Figure out the times when x = 0. (t = 0 is one such time, but it's not the one you want. At t = 0 the particle is moving left; you want the time when it's moving right.)

but my time = all that stuff, and sin of .5 - pi always comes out a negative number..

Sheneron said:
but my time = all that stuff, and sin of .5 - pi always comes out a negative number..
Realize that there's more than one angle that satisfies [itex]\sin\theta = .5[/itex].

For arcsin of 0.5 I get a value of 0.52359, so you are saying there is another value in addition to this?

Can anyone that is still awake help me solve part D?

Sheneron said:
For arcsin of 0.5 I get a value of 0.52359, so you are saying there is another value in addition to this?
I think you've figured it out by now, but sure:
[tex]\sin\theta = \sin(\theta + 2\pi)[/tex]

That's just one example (but it's the one you need). Look at a graph of a sine function and see all the places where it equals .5.

I figured it out, but I still didn't understand it, so I am glad you posted again.

1. What is the equation of motion for a particle?

The equation of motion for a particle is typically represented as F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the particle, m is the mass of the particle, and a is the acceleration of the particle.

2. How is the equation of motion derived?

The equation of motion is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. This can be mathematically expressed as F=ma.

3. Can the equation of motion be used for all types of particles?

Yes, the equation of motion can be used for all types of particles, as long as they are experiencing a net force. However, the value of m may change depending on the type of particle (i.e. mass of a proton vs mass of an electron).

4. What are the units of the equation of motion?

The units of the equation of motion depend on the units used for each variable. Generally, F is measured in Newtons (N), m is measured in kilograms (kg), and a is measured in meters per second squared (m/s2).

5. How is the equation of motion used in real-world applications?

The equation of motion is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the acceleration of a moving object, and predicting the motion of objects in a gravitational field. It is also used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy.